May 01, 2024, 11:52:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to store hydrogen???  (Read 14054 times)

Offline buckminsterfullerene

• Mole Snacks: +8/-6
  • 3.14159265358 9793238462643 3832795028841 97169399
    • Myspace
how to store hydrogen???
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »
anyone has any bright ideas on how to store hydrogen effectively, efficiently and with out a huge cost??

i have been looking at palladium as a metal hydride but its very expensive, tanks but they are hard to work with considering that i am a high school student and would be making the hydrogen from the electrolysis of water, and need it stored under pressure.  i have also been looking at liquid but now that is really hard to do, and kind of dangerous.  right now i am left with nano-tubes, but would like to hear other ideas.

the way nano-tubes works is by keeping the hydrogen within the buckminsterfullerene structures such that there would not be any repulsion between the hydrogen, allowing for more hydrogen to be stored, but i really do not understand the process 100%, so if you know about this it would be of great help...

thank you
-daniel garcia
currently a student attending high school in South Florida, capital of all the hurricanes that come through the US, and the sunshine state.  My interests falls into electrochemistry going to renewable resources of energy, i like hydrogen fuel cells and solar energy

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Re: how to store hydrogen???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »
Well the researchers who found it fell accross the idea when a particular form of carbon started saocking up the hydrogen. The carpon that is used is a specific type (which I do not remember) and maybe hard to obtain. However, I may not be the best person to be answering this post.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:26:49 AM »
You could always store it in a balloon for a short amount of time.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:08:24 PM »
As long as it's only for a short amount of time. I could imagine the H escaping pretty fast.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 03:12:38 PM »
I just can't help myself..

I find it stores quite well in water!   ;D

Joe

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »
Well the researchers who found it fell accross the idea when a particular form of carbon started saocking up the hydrogen. The carpon that is used is a specific type (which I do not remember) and maybe hard to obtain. However, I may not be the best person to be answering this post.

I think the kind of carbon you're thinking about is buckministerfullerene. 

I think I heard once that nickel may be used in a similar way to palladium, but you'd have to look into this yourself.  I'm not completely sure  :-\
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 06:09:05 AM »
I hesitate to post this site since these people are fighting the government in court. There is no way I can verify that anything they posted is operational. But, they have posted stuff about metal hydrides. I doubt they are using palladium. The site makes for an interesting read. I am just not sure if they are reliable.

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:11:27 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
From the picture it looks like it's just under pressure.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/h2new.htm

From the diagram of the “Smart Tank”, it is filled with metal hydride. Again I doubt that it is palladium, but they do not say.

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 01:55:35 PM »
450 miles per fill! Holy crap why aren't we hearing more about this?
Pierre.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »
They may be in jail. The last post I can detect is 5 November 2005.
Does anyone take a person seriously if they appear on the radio with Art Bell?
These guys are operating on the fringe and may not be taken seriously, if they are truly on up and up.

Having said that there are other issues that may be at play.
For instance, they admit to things like embattlement, which could be seen as an obstacle.
If it takes you 50 years for payback from such a system will people buy it?
Doing on a small scale does not imply it can be ramped up for mass production.

This list as to why not could go on and on.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
There are various problems associated with storage of hydrogen in a solid form as metal hydrides.  While it does solve the problem of a low energy content per unit volume, it does not have a sufficiently low energy content per unit mass.  Therefore, to carry enough fuel to travel 300 miles on a single tank (US Department of Energy's current goal) would involve carrying around a lot of extra weight which could decrease the efficiency of the vehicles so that they're no longer advantageous over gas powered vehicles (such as the already highly efficient gas-electric hybrids).  Furthermore, recharging the hydrides is difficult and takes long times, which means that it may not provide the quick refueling ability which consumers have come to expect.  Many also cannot release hydrogen quickly enough to be practical for automobiles.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
Yggdrasil

I tend to concur with what you say but the research goes on and I think it is a good area for citizen scientist to pursue. I would not necessarily restrict myself to studying hydrides.

It is plausible that one could pull up to the fuel station and exchange spent stuff for refurbished stuff in much the same way we exchange the gas grill propane tanks today.

It is also plausible that families own 2 vehicles. One for commute and one for longer distances. When the costs of the current fuel paradigm become great enough the benefits of other systems will take over.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »
Of course.  My post was not meant to say that researching solid-state hydrogen storage is a bad idea.  Many think that solid-state hydrogen storage will be the ultimate solution to the hydrogen-storage problem.  My post was to merely point out various problems which researchers must overcome before engineers can employ the technology in a commercially viable vehicle.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »
As soon as someone manages to get that 300 mile mark (at least in the U.S.) the government should mandate that in like 3-5 years that all gas stations have a hydrogen pump or a tank exchange depending on what is more feasible. Then people have to stop their crying and more nuclear power plants have to be built. I personally think until fusion power delivers we need more nuclear power plants to cut down on CO2 and create cheap energy. Nuclear power seams to have come a long way and looks like a pretty mature technology.

Maybe someone could put the Pu and U that are in nuclear weapons into a reactor and use our previous weapons of mass destruction as mass power.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links