March 29, 2024, 09:23:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aqua Regia  (Read 15410 times)

Offline zeshkani

• Mole Snacks: +2/-17
  • Chemist ?
Aqua Regia
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »
iam working on a experiment, and since i read if you combine hydrochloric acid + nitric acid = aqua regia which can dissolve gold and platinum
where can some get these two acid's? also is there anything stronger then aqua regia, since it cant dissolve iridium??

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Re: Aqua Regia
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:05 PM »
Why do you need the aqua regia? It is a pretty nasty and dangerous thing... I think that you need some kind of permission to buy conc. nitric and hydrochloric acid
There are some other substances that are stronger, by the way...

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
You probably need to find a chemical supplier to get nitric acid, it is not in any consumer products.
You can easily find HCl as 'Muriatic acid' in hardware stores, it is not quite as strong as 'concentrated' but it is close.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:58:26 PM »
There are some aquarium PH down products that contain nitric acid, usually I believe, it is phosphoric acid, but some contain HNO3.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:04:21 PM »
I thought muriatic acid was around 25%. Nitric acid purchases of a certain about are monitored by the government. I tried buying from one company on line and they asked me about my qualifications, which are well non-existant. Concentrated nitric acid may be a little hard to get a hold of in large quantities.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia for more information if you'd like. I haven't read it, but it probably has a few usefull things in it. You also probably don't want to store the stuff. My guess is that some of it will decompose into Cl2 which is corrosive.

By the way Mark Kness, I was unable to find sulfuric acid at the hardware store.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
The 'Muriatic acid' I had at one point was labeled 31.45%.  ('Concentrated' is 37%.)  It probably varies a bit.

Too bad about not finding conc. H2SO4.  I could give you the name of a place in Austin TX that has it, but that probably doesn't help you.  I forget what the brand name was.

You don't want to store aqua regia, that is correct.  I think it tends to build up pressure, then the container explodes and splatters concentrated acids all over the place.  Not good.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 04:57:18 PM »
then the container explodes

You may want to discuss it with mike ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »
then the container explodes

You may want to discuss it with mike ;)

Lol. Good comment Borek.

Mark Kness it probably does vary from brand to brand. I found some concentrated Sulfuric Acid online. 500ml, 11$, 90-98% concentrated from Fisher Scientific.

Nitric acid is hard to come by concentrated. It's also really expensive.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline zeshkani

• Mole Snacks: +2/-17
  • Chemist ?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:55 PM »
looks like i wont be able to this this experiment while nitric acid is close to impossible to get ?
but anyhow are there any stronger acids other then the combination of HCl + HNO3 ?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
You may want to discuss it with mike Wink
  LOL :D :)

zeshkani - what exactly is this experiment that requires aqua regia?

I used to use aqua regia to clean some of my sintred filters and sometimes some glass ware.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »
There are stronger acids than aqua regia. Some superacids like fluoroantimonic acid have over 1019 times higher pKa value than sulphuric acid. But even those aren't enough for iridium. Iridium can be made into ionic form and then dissolved only with some molten salts like Na2O2 and NaCl.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 07:04:59 AM »
You don't want to store aqua regia

IIRC aqua regia shuldn't be stored at all because it decomposes...

The muriatic acid that you buy at the store here in Italy is about 12-15%...definitely not enough concentrated to make aqua regia.... :(

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »
Aqua Regia is never stored.  It is only made as needed just like nitration mixtures.  In a pinch, using a combination of concentrated HCl and some nitrate salts can work if the nitrate salts are added slowly to a very chilled HCl solution.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links