April 28, 2024, 10:02:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for some help  (Read 2316 times)

Rileyjoe

Looking for some help
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
I'm trying to make a zinc solution to kill moss on a steep roof. I met a gentleman years ago who was treating roofs in our neighborhood with it. I asked him what was in his spray tank and he told me it was zinc roofing strips (100% zinc) like you get at the hardware store,water and soap (I don't remember the type of soap). His solution killed the moss on the roofs completely so I know this combination works.           
         I tried making this using cheap laundry soap and letting the mixture sit for two weeks, stirring occasionally with no success.
 Does anyone here know what type of soap to use that would help breakdown the zinc and not harm the rubber "o" rings ,etc. in my sprayer?  Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Looking for some help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:50:49 AM »
Generally speaking no soap will dissolve zinc.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Looking for some help
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Even though the strips are still there, enough zinc may still dissolve into the water to have some effect, although as Borek said the soap probably has very little to do with it. The soap may just be there for its detergent action (cleaning the roof).

Looks like you have some other options though:

http://bryophytes.science.oregonstate.edu/page24.htm
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links