April 28, 2024, 12:55:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation-reduction reaction to find  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Alexanderke

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxidation-reduction reaction to find
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
Hey,

i'm analysing an article where they analyse ranitidine HCl (RHCl) using redox reactions. I understand the article and how they work but i don't realise what the exact reaction mechanism is. It involves two stages oxidation ( said in article but not 100% sure what this means, i guess 2 redox reactions following each other) of Ranitidine HCl with excess N-bromosuccinimide (NBS) and estimation of excess oxidant using a known excess of dye ( amaranth dye). The remaining dye will be measured colorimetrically at suitable λmax.

To a 10 ml flask containing the drug they will add HCl , NBS and a little bit of KBr. Later they will add the dye.

So i was thinking RHCl would have a redox reaction with NBS using the acid for pH.The s-oxide of ranitidine will be formed but what will hapen to the NBS? And i can't find a use for the KBr :/
It should accelerate the reaction. 1 mol RHCL needs 6 mol NBS and the remaining NBS will reduce the intensity of the dye color.
In another article they use KBr and BrO3- to form Br2 which will react with RHCl. But then the NBS from my article won't be used as oxidans.

Thanks in advance for people who can help me with this.

PS: Article i'm analysing : A.S. Amin et Al. / Spectrochemica Acta Part A 59 (2003) 695-703: Utility of oxidation-reduction reaction for the determination of ranitidine hydrochloride....

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:55:19 PM by Alexanderke »

Sponsored Links