April 26, 2024, 11:01:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: wine drop surface tension  (Read 2058 times)

ian murphy business train

wine drop surface tension
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:52:55 AM »
simply put, I'm not a Chemistry wizard but I am very curious. I poured myself a glass of wine this evening and saw something I've never seen before. A drop fell back into the bottle and hovered on the surface for a few seconds. My first guess was some sort of oil from the rim of the bottle but I could not understand how a drop falling several inches back into the bottle could have enough resistance to stay afloat. I'm puzzled!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: wine drop surface tension
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »
Happens. I have seen it many times. For some liquids it happens more often, for some it happens quite rarely, definitely it depends on the surface tension, probably also on the viscosity.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »
If you're even a novice oenophile, you're aware of a wine having "legs" the curious viscosity allowing wine to cling to the side of the glass in streams.  This is caused by the viscosity of alcohol and glycerol in the wine.  So its not too surprising that the droplet survived striking the surface for a few seconds.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline swintarka

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
You probably saw an anti-bubble:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibubble

Sponsored Links