March 28, 2024, 07:51:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lewis Dot Structure for FeSCN  (Read 10731 times)

jpb1818

Lewis Dot Structure for FeSCN
« on: April 12, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »
Hello.  I am an undergrad student taking the second sequence of inorganic chemistry.  There is a question on my assignment that some of the instructors here cannot give me a straight answer for.  I don't think they have a clue.  The chemistry dept. here is not very good.  I do not see how it is accredited.  Anyway....

I am trying to figure out the Lewis Dot Structure for FeSCN.  A few instructors say the SCN ion has a CN triple bond and a SC single bond, and a few other instructors say that both SC and CN have double bonds.  Some say the Fe attaches to the S, and others say it attaches to the N.  Can anyone help me with the structure?  And also, what orbital on the Fe does the electron from the SCN ion attach to?  (I think it fills the 3d orbital)  The Fe has a +3 charge, and the SCN has a -1 charge, so the overall charge on the FeSCN is +2.  If Fe+3 has 5 electrons in the 3d orbital, does this mean that only one SCN-1 attaches to the Fe+3, leaving two orbitals with only one electron in each (hence the +2 charge on the atom)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Lewis Dot Structure for FeSCN
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »
Best I could find

The Stability and Light Absorption of the Complex Ion FeSCN++
Henry S. Frank, Robert L. Oswalt
J. Am. Chem. Soc.; 1947; 69(6); 1321-1325.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

jpb1818

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:48:50 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mitch.  It is much appreciated.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:11:42 AM »
SCN - may be a S-ligand or a N-ligand. The first, in my opinion, will form a covalent Fe-S bond, thoutgh in the crystal structure it can form a donor bond N...Fe. For more than one SCN groups one can expect both S-Fe and N-Fe coordination at the same atom.
See: K.Pohl, K.Wieghardt, B.Nuber, J.Weiss (1987)
J.Chem.Soc.,Dalton Trans.,187
AWK

Sponsored Links