April 25, 2024, 01:47:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need a good elution system....cant find one!  (Read 1735 times)

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Need a good elution system....cant find one!
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
All,
Attempting to make a N-acyl-2 substituted aziridine.  I am going through the azido-alcohol intermediate (Styrene Oxide reacted with sodium azide, ammonium chloride in a 3/1 (MeOH/H2O) system.  However, I am having a HELL of a time finding a good elution system to attain a good Rf to separate the azido alcohol from the Styrene oxide impurities.  Any suggestions.  I have tried basically ALL Hex:EtOAc systems.  In a university lab, so have access to anything imaginable.
       -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Need a good elution system....cant find one!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
Are you doing gradient with column? Try to shoot for 33%, aka 0.33Rf, up the TLC plate for the spots you want and use that solvent system.  Other than that reverse phase silica may work better. 

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Need a good elution system....cant find one!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:50:20 AM »
I have tried basically ALL Hex:EtOAc systems.  In a university lab, so have access to anything imaginable.

Well, you've only tried one solvent combination really. Try acetone/hexane and ether/hexane for starters. Switching the aliphatic hydrocarbon for toluene can very, very helpful.

A non-exhaustive list:

Possible strong solvents: Alcohols, MeCN, THF, Acetone, EtOAc, ether, DCM, chloroform
Possible weak solvents: Hexanes, toluene, DCM, chloroform

Try combinations of different strong and weak solvents.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links