April 25, 2024, 05:33:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: triNatrium Phosphate  (Read 5054 times)

Offline i.mercimek

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
triNatrium Phosphate
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
Hey all,

I am executing a few experiments and therefore I want to dissolve some trinatrium phosphate (Na3PO4) in demi water with a known calcium concentration added and heat the sample. However due to logistical reasons, my workplace has no trinatrium phosphate, instead they have disodium hydrogen phosphate (Na2HPO4).

My question is, whether disodium hydrogen phosphate is a good altenative for trisodium phosphate as in will they have the same effect on my sample?

Thank you,

Ismail

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: triNatrium Phosphate
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:03 AM »
Depends on what you are trying to find. In general - no.

But it shouldn't be that difficult to convert Na2HPO4 to Na3PO4 if you have NaOH.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline subro

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:43:17 AM »
The third proton of the H3PO4 is less acidic (Ka3= 3.98×10−13). Maybe it's better to use another base instead NaOH for getting a quantitative reaction.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:26:03 AM by subro »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »
The third proton of the H3PO4 is less acidic (Ka3= 3.98×10−13). Maybe it's better to use NaH instead NaOH for getting a quantitative reaction.

Doesn't make sense. We are talking about water solution, hydrides are incompatible with water. The salt will hydrolyze no matter how it was prepared, using NaOH is much cheaper and much simpler.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline subro

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:25:16 AM »
The third proton of the H3PO4 is less acidic (Ka3= 3.98×10−13). Maybe it's better to use NaH instead NaOH for getting a quantitative reaction.

Doesn't make sense. We are talking about water solution, hydrides are incompatible with water. The salt will hydrolyze no matter how it was prepared, using NaOH is much cheaper and much simpler.

Haha, i've forgotten about water solution ^^' Too much organic solvents xD I'm sorry.

Sponsored Links