Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

Saturated Solution: Would adding solid Fe(NO3)3 change the solubility?

(1/1)

dagr8est:
Say you had a saturated solution of Fe(OH)3.  Would adding solid Fe(NO3)3 change the solubility of the solution?

I think no because if the solution is already saturated, how can the solid dissociate into ions?  I'm not sure though.  That is why I'm asking. ;D

Borek:
What is solubility of the solution?

Have you heard about common ion effect?

dagr8est:
Solubility is the amount of solid that can be dissolved in a given volume of solvent at a given temperature.  Yes, I've learned the common ion effect.

I understand that the solubility will decrease if Fe(NO3)3 can dissociate into ions but the solution is already saturated so how can a solid dissolve to increase the concentration of Fe+3?

Borek:

--- Quote from: dagr8est on April 13, 2006, 09:46:14 PM ---Solubility is the amount of solid
--- End quote ---

So it is solubility of the solid (hydroxide in your case), not of the solution :)

--- Quote ---I understand that the solubility will decrease if Fe(NO3)3 can dissociate into ions but the solution is already saturated so how can a solid dissolve to increase the concentration of Fe+3?
--- End quote ---

Apart from the volume changes it doesn't matter whether you add solid salt like Fe(NO3)3 or solution containing this salt. Final equilibrium will be identical.

Note that ypu will get exactly the same effect starting with Fe(NO3)3 solution and adding aolid Fe(OH)3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version