April 28, 2024, 06:11:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining the molarity of carbonic acid in carbonated water.  (Read 4066 times)

Offline John404

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello!

For a lab in my class we're supposed to determine the molarity of an acid in a consumer product. One way of going about this is of course performing a titration, however, I was considering a different approach.

If I were to use carbonated water as my consumer product I could mass it, stir it to get the carbonic acid out, mass it again, and use the change in mass to determine the moles of CO2 which is equal to moles of H2CO3 in the solution (CO2(g) + H2O(l)  ::equil:: H2CO3(aq)).

My question is, Is there enough carbonic acid in about 500 mL of carbonated water for this change in mass to be measurable? Triple beam balances are made available to us for massing.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:30:46 PM by John404 »

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
Re: Determining the molarity of carbonic acid in carbonated water.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:10 AM »
I think it's an imaginative idea but my concern would be whether you could flush out all of the carbonic acid and how you could tell. There are various equilibria at work, between carbonic acid, hydrogen carbonate ions, aqueous carbon dioxide, gaseous carbon dioxide. It's the type of chemical situation where, for example, as molecules of carbon dioxide leave solution, others are simultaneously dissolved into it from the air. In fact, according to the below link, the proportion of carbonic acid is lower than the proportion of aqueous carbon dioxide...

http://ion.chem.usu.edu/~sbialkow/Classes/3650/Carbonate/Carbonic%20Acid.html

I think you should do it anyway BUT alongside a titration so that you can compare the accuracy of the methods.

Sponsored Links