March 29, 2024, 01:26:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical reaction - benzene and alkenes  (Read 2272 times)

Offline veru

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical reaction - benzene and alkenes
« on: June 13, 2015, 07:11:51 AM »
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for advice with reactions to organic chemistry. I have taken with them the picture. http://i76i.imgup.net/IMG_20150640b8.jpg

In the first case I do not know tips on how this reaction would take place when there is a catalyst, which is used in Friedel-Crafts acylation and alkylation, but when I do there's no additional reagent to give me something from it originated. In another case the oxidation by potassium permanganate, but there are others given reaction conditions, whether it is in the H + or OH- environment, so I do not know if he emerged cis-diol or carboxylic acid would be produced. In the third case, the catalyst FeCl3 again, but I'm not sure with the chlorination of benzene occurs when I saw everywhere that uses a catalyst FeCl3. I do not know if it will be a trick question. http://i76i.imgup.net/IMG_20150640b8.jpg

Thank you very much for any help
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:03:55 PM by Arkcon »

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Chemical reaction - benzene and alkenes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
1). Are you sure that there's no additional reagent for the Friedel-Crafts reaction?
Please, take a second look.
2). For analytical indentification purpose, aqueous KMnO4 can work like that.
3). Friedel-Crafts reaction demands a strong Lewis acid catalysis. This one prefers AlCl3, the other one prefers Fecl3, another one might prefer something else as a Lewis acid catalyst, and so on.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:49:33 PM by pgk »

Offline veru

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the 1) and 3) if I know how these reactions occur. But when the potassium permanganate is reacted with an alkene in the water give alcohol? Somehow I can not imagine what kind of product is formed.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
Please, take another look to the reactions of alkenes in an Organic Chemistry textbook or in the Web.

Sponsored Links