April 25, 2024, 09:05:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [mechanism & kinetics] Anionic Addition polymerization  (Read 1640 times)

Offline hmok

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
[mechanism & kinetics] Anionic Addition polymerization
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »
Mechanism:
(1) For the first step of an anionic addition polymerization, say, (C4H9-)(Li+) + (Styrene monomer) -> Propagating species, why is the electron lone pair (of C4H9-) attacking the double of Styrene monomer?

Isnt the double bond rich in electron? why are they attacked by nucleophile? is the drop in free energy one of the reason?

Kinetics:
(2) Seeing the rate of propagation , I would like to ask the original calculation of propagation rate. Is it K(prop.)*[input]? or is it K(prop.)*[input]/[output]? I am wondering whether the amount of reaction product will affect the rate.
Besides, I am confused when I see the reaction rate when we take termination due to impurities into account:
any step before this final equation that would help me understand?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: [mechanism & kinetics] Anionic Addition polymerization
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
The so formed Bu-styrene and polystyrene anions are stabilized by the aromatic conjugation.
Rate(prop.) = K(prop.)*[input]
However, impurities react with anions and stop the anionic polymerization. Therefore, impurities concentration must be taken in account, together with the termination rate constant, in regards to the propagation kinetics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:41:46 PM by pgk »

Sponsored Links