April 27, 2024, 03:18:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic product of water  (Read 1837 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic product of water
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:14:41 AM »
Hello,

I have recently learnt you can find the molarity of H+ if you have the molarity of OH- through the ionic product of water.

However I don't understand why can we use the ionic product of water? The ionic product of water is derived from the equation:

2H2::equil:: H30+ + OH-

From this equation the equilibrium constant can be found and this is the ionic product of water. However how is it applied in the case of an equation such as this as the equations are different?

HCl + H2::equil:: Cl- + H30+

I tried to explain it by saying that the Cl- are spectator ions so therefore they are eliminated. But that gives you this.

H+ + H2::equil:: H30+

Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ionic product of water
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:33:22 AM »
Nothing stops you from having several equilibria present in the solution at the same time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Ionic product of water
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:41:57 AM »
In a system at equilibrium, all relevant equilibria must be satisfied simultaneously. So for example, in aqueous solution, the equilibrium
2H2::equil:: H3O+ + OH-
is always there, whatever else is also present. (by the way, try and distinguish Os from zeros) And it is always true, whatever else is going on, that [H3O+][OH-] = 10-14M (adjust for temperature if necessary). So if you have, say, 0.1M HCl, which is a strong acid and completely dissociated, you have 0.1M H3O+, and therefore 10-13M OH-. (Weak acids and bases are a bit more complicated.)

By the way, HCl + H2::equil:: H3O+ + Cl-
is not equivalent to H+ + H2::equil:: H3O+
You don't get free protons in water. You cannot treat Cl- here as a spectator ion, because it is not present in undissociated HCl, which is a covalent molecule. The equation describes the dissociation of HCl into ions in water.

Sponsored Links