April 29, 2024, 09:55:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesizing 1,4-diaminobenzene and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid  (Read 3651 times)

Offline chacocha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out a synthesis route from benzene to the kevlar monomers, and it seems easy because there's two of the same functional groups but I'm not sure where to start.

So for benzene with 2 NH2 groups, I guess I can start with NO3/H2SO4 and put NO2 on the ring, and repeat it so that I have 2 NO2 groups attached to the ring. After that, can I use LiAlH4/H2o to reduce both NO2 down to NH2? But that would result in meta relationship, so would that still work?

For dicarboxylic acid, I'm thinking FC acylation first and then oxidizing it using KMnO4, so that would give me one carboxylic acid on the ring. How can I add the second carboxylic acid?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Synthesizing 1,4-diaminobenzene and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out a synthesis route from benzene to the kevlar monomers, and it seems easy because there's two of the same functional groups but I'm not sure where to start.

So for benzene with 2 NH2 groups, I guess I can start with NO3/H2SO4 and put NO2 on the ring, and repeat it so that I have 2 NO2 groups attached to the ring. After that, can I use LiAlH4/H2O to reduce both NO2 down to NH2? But that would result in meta relationship, so would that still work?

For dicarboxylic acid, I'm thinking FC acylation first and then oxidizing it using KMnO4, so that would give me one carboxylic acid on the ring. How can I add the second carboxylic acid?

Consider directing effects...

Offline chacocha

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Can you elaborate on that? I know that NO2 and carboxylic acid are both meta directing.

Offline chacocha

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
I forgot to attach the picture of the monomers.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 04:40:42 AM »
Can you elaborate on that? I know that NO2 and carboxylic acid are both meta directing.

Yes they are so if you want to have them in para position, you should consider different approach.

Offline chacocha

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »
Ok. So should I put NO2 first, reduce it down to NH2 and then repeat it so that I would have NO2 in para position? And then I just reduce it again? Is that it?

For carboxylic acid, if I do F/C alkylation twice in a row so that I have two alkyl groups in para position and use KMnO4, would that change both alkyl groups into carboxylic acids?

Sponsored Links