March 28, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sorbic acid / Potassium Sorbate buffer!?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline MLP

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sorbic acid / Potassium Sorbate buffer!?
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:49 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm devoloping a gel for treatment of dry mouth syndrome in cancer radiation treatment. One of my primary goals are to keep my formulation tasteless. I have so far gone through 38 batches with different additives and so far concluded that potassium sorbate is my optimum preservative because it is tasteless and frequently used in foods as well.

So the thing is: Potassium sorbate is only effective in pH <6 - and I can't go lower than 5.5 because of possible tooth decay. Adding only 0.2% potassium sorbate gives pH 8'ish together with my non-ionic polymers.

My possible solution would be to add Sorbic acid and by this make a buffer but I can't find one single piece of litterature describing this matter.

Is it doable? And whats the recipe..I can do with anything from 5.5 to 6.0

If you have other suggestions to lower pH at a stable level feel free to suggest. Citric acid and phosporic acid is already tested but both has unpleasant taste.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sorbic acid / Potassium Sorbate buffer!?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
My possible solution would be to add Sorbic acid and by this make a buffer but I can't find one single piece of litterature describing this matter.

1. We don't discuss self medication nor drug preparation, see the forum rules.

2. Buffer preparation is a GenChem101, or even High School level question. If you don't know how to do it, I am afraid you lack qualifications to develop the treatment.

Topic locked. Feel free to contact me privately and prove that I am wrong, in which case I will reopen the thread.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sorbic acid / Potassium Sorbate buffer!?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:47:31 AM »
OK, I am reopening the thread as OP is a newcomer with locked access to PMs, so this is the only way of clarifying the situation.

So far you have not explained why you are trying to prepare the gel and what is your background, so we no choice but to assume you are breaking the rules.

Quoting your report:

And Im fully aware how to make buffers!

So basically you wrote you have to prepare a buffer, but you can't find information in the literature how to make one. Now in your report you wrote you know how to make the buffer - so where is the problem? Start with the sorbic acid pKa and follow from there.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links