April 28, 2024, 03:11:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Addition to ketone problem  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Petahit

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Addition to ketone problem
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »
Hi!
Have been thinking over this problem some hours, but do not get anywhere. If someone can give a hint or answer to this problem, I would be really greatfull.

Give the possible mechanism of this reaction and the structure of compound D(see the attached file):

Thanks on beforehand.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Addition to ketone problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
What does the double bond of the product have to do with it? Can you take the reaction back one step from the product?

Offline Petahit

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:12:12 PM »
What does the double bond of the product have to do with it? Can you take the reaction back one step from the product?

I do not really understand what you ask. I have to find one compound (D) that add to the ketone. Since I know that etOna/etOH are use for dehydrohalogenetion, I know that part of compound d must be a alkyl halid... What the rest of compound D contain is still a mystery to me thought...

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »
^See forum rules you have to show an attempt to solve the problem.  The point of this exercise is to do the reaction backwards and what you get left over is the starting material and the structure of D.  Part of D is an alkyl halide.  What have you learned about enol/enolates?

Offline Petahit

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
^See forum rules you have to show an attempt to solve the problem.  The point of this exercise is to do the reaction backwards and what you get left over is the starting material and the structure of D.  Part of D is an alkyl halide.  What have you learned about enol/enolates?

Sorry, I must have missed that rule, but I will add an attempt soon.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »
Hint: Robbinson .
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links