• Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: cerium oxide
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:24:54 AM »
Please read the forum rules.

You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cheta25

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:20:59 AM »
Please read the forum rules.

You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

i already try to dissolve in Hcl ,Sulfuric Acid

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
You could also trouble yourself to give us some of your application, so we can gauge your knowledge level, and give you the best sort of help possible. 

A quick Google search will tell you that its insoluble in water, so dilute acids are likely to react slowly, if at all. 

Like most of the rare earths, cerium's oxide is a refractory material -- very hard to attack, very suitable as a furnace material.

I suspect it reacts with concentrated nitric acid, many resistant things do.  Why didn't you try that? 

Why do you need to dissolve cerium oxide?  This nitric acid solution won't be a solution of cerium oxide in nitric acid, this will be a solution of cerium nitrate in water, after the reactions are complete.  Is that what you wanted?  Why or why not?  If so, why not just buy cerium nitrate?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links