March 29, 2024, 08:46:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NiMH Wh measurement  (Read 1742 times)

Offline zmasterflex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
NiMH Wh measurement
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »
I'm filling out a shipping form for an item that contains a 12 Volt NiMH battery. They want to know if there is a lithium ion battery, how much it weighs and what is the "watt hour measurement." I tried calling customer service at the manufacturer and didn't get anywhere so I'll try my luck here. I think (based on what I've seen on wikipedia) that NiMH are not using lithium as the metal. The weight of the battery cannot be guessed but regarding the "watt hour" measurement, does the 12V designation help to figure it out? If this question sounds absurd feel free to say so.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: NiMH Wh measurement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:02:19 AM »
Yes, NiMH batteries don't contain lithium. "Watt hour" is a way of telling the battery capacity, voltage is not enough to calculate it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zmasterflex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
thanks

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
The capacity is often marked on batteries, more often in Ah or mAh than Wh; multiplying by 12V gives a reasonable number of Wh. If not marked, take the dimensions and compare with other NiMH batteries in a catalogue, since the capacity per volume unit is about the same for every manufacturer.

Sponsored Links