April 28, 2024, 03:48:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbon monoxide possibilities?  (Read 4807 times)

justthinking25

Carbon monoxide possibilities?
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »
Is it theoretically possible to develop a synthetic compound that can alter the properties of carbon monoxide?

Is it possible to pass carbon monoxide through a synthetic compound/or newly created gas/liquid catalyst that in turn creates a brand new gas, has this been done before? If so, what were the products?

Can the synthetic compound be tailored to create whatever gas you are trying to get out of CO?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Carbon monoxide possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:15:14 AM »
Is it theoretically possible to develop a synthetic compound that can alter the properties of carbon monoxide?

Well, "alter the properties" is vague. There are plenty of things that will react with CO2, changing it into something else.

Is it possible to pass carbon monoxide through a synthetic compound/or newly created gas/liquid catalyst that in turn creates a brand new gas, has this been done before? If so, what were the products?

Carbon capture is a huge field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage

Can the synthetic compound be tailored to create whatever gas you are trying to get out of CO?

Depends what you're trying to get.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
If the attempt is to transform the monoxide without bringing anything else, just by passing through a catalyst, that looks more difficult.

But by adding other compounds, CO is routinely transformed, sure. You can burn it in air for instance, or let it react with vapour, and so on.

justthinking25

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:37 AM »

Well, "alter the properties" is vague. There are plenty of things that will react with CO2, changing it into something else.

Carbon capture is a huge field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage

Depends what you're trying to get.

Carbon capture is an interesting field, however, thats not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to see if there is a way to take the produced CO from a product and have it go into a chamber or catalyst that contains the synthetic compound (gas/liquid), once it passes through the chamber it will result in a completely non-toxic/non-flammable new gas which is all being propelled by an atmospheric pull.

Something along this?

CO -> CO + x(unknown) = non-toxic product or gas

justthinking25

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:26 AM »
If the attempt is to transform the monoxide without bringing anything else, just by passing through a catalyst, that looks more difficult.

But by adding other compounds, CO is routinely transformed, sure. You can burn it in air for instance, or let it react with vapour, and so on.

The first part of your reply looks more towards what I'm trying to get at. I read some articles that there are synthetic compounds created where when CO is passed through it, the temperature of CO goes down which then in turn creates more CO. So shouldn't there be a way to do the exact opposite?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 02:33:50 AM »
Carbon capture is an interesting field, however, thats not exactly what I'm looking for.

I didn't read your post properly and thought you were talking about carbon dioxide, my apologies.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
What about doing Gattermann–Koch and produce some high(erish) value aldehyde from it?

justthinking25

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
What about doing Gattermann–Koch and produce some high(erish) value aldehyde from it?

Interesting, could be a possibility, aren't aldehydes usually toxic to the human body though?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »
i guess.. but you sell the aldehyde to those who want it for something else

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 05:11:39 AM »
[...] once it passes through the chamber it will result in a completely non-toxic/non-flammable new gas which is all being propelled by an atmospheric pull.
CO -> CO + x(unknown) = non-toxic product or gas.

Yes, burn it to CO2, if atmospheric release is the only goal.
If you have big amounts of CO, use it to reduce ore to metal. Or make less toxic fuel of it, in a reaction with water.

Sponsored Links