March 29, 2024, 08:36:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why did this reaction occur?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline ScienceBruh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why did this reaction occur?
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
So I was in my lab, and I was burning powders to see if/how they tinted the flame. It was very cool.  <- The fire was warm though...  Any ways i started mixing powders. Not my brightest moment. So I mixed ammonium chloride and Copper sulfate.  It burned THROUGH a sheet of aluminum foil. IDK if it dissolved it or burned through it, but I have no clue what just happened.  I figured Y'all could help.  Did anyone else have this happen when/if they try?  If you know why can you reply the chemical equation of what exactly happened/if it made a corrosive substance or just got extremely hot... Thanks

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Why did this reaction occur?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:00 AM »
Aluminium foil burns easily, for being aluminium (burns) and thin (easy to heat). If you put a flame at it, with a decent amount of oxygen, it's the normal fate.

Offline ScienceBruh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »
The foil was not burning the last times. i did 8 or 10 burns on one sheet but for some reason even in a new sheet the mixed powder was burning hotter and making the flame incredibly green

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »
Look up some of the properties of ammonium chloride, and maybe try it out on the foil by itself.  IIRC, its actually a pretty corrosive reagent.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links