April 18, 2024, 07:24:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amine synthesis (Gabriel synthesis) help  (Read 2969 times)

Offline wonka_vision

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Amine synthesis (Gabriel synthesis) help
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »
Hi - I'm trying to form a ketal containing amine through the following reaction:

To drive the reaction I have been slowly adding concentrated NaOH (in water) under reflux for 24 hours. I then extract with dichloromethane in order to get a yellow oil. The problem is that I often don't get a product (it's only worked a couple of times for me out of the many times I've done this reaction). Can someone think of a reason why I could be losing my product?

Thanks

Mod edit: img tags added. Dan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:55:32 AM by Dan »

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Amine synthesis (Gabriel synthesis) help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »
Isnt the product usualy obtained by use of hydrazine?

Offline wonka_vision

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
It is, but I had a really difficult time with separation last time I used hydrazine. I'm actually in a chemical engineering department, so our access to equipment is lacking.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:19 AM »
The rxn is competing to form phthalamide+ROH.  You could just put NaN3+RX and then reduce N3 to NH2 by commmon hydrogenation catalysts(e.g. Pd/C wont react with ether--> http://www.organic-chemistry.org/synthesis/N1H/reductionsazides.shtm) or PPh3 http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/staudinger-reaction.shtm  May also work better to convert it to a dithioketal which is less sensitive than ketals and can be removed with reagents such as PhI(OAc)2 if your goal is not just the exact chemical in your .png
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:12:51 AM by phth »

Sponsored Links