March 29, 2024, 07:01:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Experiment  (Read 17569 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Experiment
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 05:09:55 AM »
If HCl(g) is a possible side product, then I hope you are doing these experiments outside.

Or using a hood

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 06:54:09 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim_process

I would have opted for the Mannheim process formula
2 NaCl + H2SO4 = Na2SO4 + 2 HCl

I'm assuming that it requires heat right? Wiki, atleast the english article, doesn't state much else than the equation. I'm going to consider this reaction. I'll bubble it into deionized water.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »
When I did the experiment I was trying to get HCl. I knew I couldn't get it to a collectable state at room temprature, but I did it anyways (outside). When I made my first calculations I thought that I had failed to make HCl and made the non-existent H2Cl. Then you guys helped me and got me on track. Thanks to the Wikipedia article I can prove that I did make HCl, though not in a collectable fashion. Now I am going to get some more experimenting apparatus and make HCl in a collectable state.

Thanks for all the help,
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Sponsored Links