April 19, 2024, 02:43:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pb2+ and Cu2+  (Read 18320 times)

Offline hkalfighter

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Pb2+ and Cu2+
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
when Cu2+ is mixed with ammonia solution , a blue ppt is formed and it redissolves in excess ammonia because an ionic complex Cu(NH3)4 2+ (aq)  is formed . When Cu2+ is mixed with NaOH , blue ppt is formed but it doesn't redissolve in excess NaOH . I understand why it's like that
But in the reaction of Pb2+ with ammonia and NaOH , it shows reverse trend that means when Pb2+ is mixed with ammonia , white ppt is formed but doesn't redissolve in excess ammonia while with NaOH , white ppt is formed but redissolves in excess NaOH .
i don't understand the case of Pb2+ , is there any complex formed like the case of Cu2+

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Re: Pb2+ and Cu2+
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
But in the reaction of Pb2+ with ammonia and NaOH , it shows reverse trend that means when Pb2+ is mixed with ammonia , white ppt is formed but doesn't redissolve in excess ammonia while with NaOH , white ppt is formed but redissolves in excess NaOH .
Pb(OH)2 is amphoteric! It can react either as a base or as an acid. If excess OH- is added to Pb(OH)2 a soluble tetrahydroxoplumbate(II) complex forms.

Cu2+ is not amphoteric, as a result, it is not soluble in excess OH-. However, it forms a soluble tetrammine complex.

Offline hkalfighter

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:28:11 PM »
thx for your quick reply .
i didn't really know that Pb(OH)2 is amphoteric
i wonder if it's similar to BeO and Al2O3 which are also amphoteric
can u tell me other metal hydroxides that are amphoteric and the metal ions that make complex with OH- and other metals ions which behave like Cu 2+ which gives complex with NH3 ligands

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »
Other elements that form amphoteric hydroxides Bi, V, Cr, Fe, Au, Al, As, Be, Sn, Ti, Sb
These are just some metals that form amphoteric hydroxides.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:25:35 PM »
It all depends on whether the cation in question can form a soluble complex with the base of interest.

eg. Pb2+ vs OH- and Pb2+ vs NH3. The latter pair can't form a complex.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links