April 25, 2024, 04:27:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A Question of Infrared Spectroscopy  (Read 3713 times)

Offline simonsci

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A Question of Infrared Spectroscopy
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
Hi everyone! Please have a look at the question below from Organic Chemistry (7th edition) by Bruice.

'Which would show an absorption band at a larger wavenumber: a carbonyl group bonded to an sp3 carbon or a carbonyl group bonded to an sp2 carbon of an alkene?'

The solution is the one bonded to an sp3 carbon as it won't undergo electron delocalization. Let's consider the molecule on the right. I think no electrons will delocalize so I think the two carbonyl groups will show absorption bands at equal wavenumbers in some situations. Am I right?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: A Question of Infrared Spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
Ketene C=O stretches are vastly different from ketone (unsaturated or not) stretches.

Consider the resonance structures of the ketene you drew - do you think the frequency of the C=O stretch will be higher or lower than that of a "standard" ketone?

A good exercise would be to put acetone, butenone and dimethylketene in order of C=O stretching frequency.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline simonsci

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
Thank you for your help. I think the carbonyl group stretch of acetone occurs at a higher wavenumber than that of butenone, as it doesn't engage in electron delocalization. But I believe the carbonyl group stretch of dimethylketene occurs at similar wavenumber as acetone, since it doesn't undergo electron delocalization too. So my answer is:

Acetone ≈ Dimethylketene > Butenone

Is it correct?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:07:34 AM »
I believe the carbonyl group stretch of dimethylketene occurs at similar wavenumber as acetone, since it doesn't undergo electron delocalization too. So my answer is:

Acetone ≈ Dimethylketene > Butenone

Is it correct?

No - as I already mentioned, the C=O stretch of ketenes is very different from acetone and butenone.

It is possible to draw ketene resonance structures to account for this - start at the O lone pair.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links