April 20, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aromatic Chemistry Mechanisms  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Depasqualethepolymath

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Aromatic Chemistry Mechanisms
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
Can C6H5NH3 be produced from phenylamine ?? I couldn't find a way since the only NH3 present in a benzene ring is as a transitional state when producing phenylamine..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:53:12 PM by Depasqualethepolymath »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Aromatic Chemistry Mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
With all due respect, you said something that is going off on a tangent.  I agree that transition states have only a fleeting existence, but they don't have anything to do with this problem.  If you simply draw out the putative reactant and product, you may find a simple answer to your question.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
The question is about a mechanism on how to produce C6H2Br3NH3 from benzene

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
Welcome to the forums.  I see that the starting material and product have both changed from your original post.  According to the rules of this forum, you should provide your attempt at an answer before we can help you.  A good place to start is to draw the starting material.  So far you have not specified which isomer you need, and the answer will depend on this, almost certainly.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
Benzene ring --> C6H2Br3NH3
I am being asked on how to arrive to the product from the reactant and I cannot find a suitable mechanism that's why I asked what I asked before...

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
I wouldn't call what you were asked to produce a "mechanism" (which involves metastable intermediates and possibly transition states); I would call it a "synthetic pathway."  As I indicated above, the compound you have indicated is your synthetic target exists as a number of isomers.  Were you given a structure or just the molecular formula?  If you were only given a formula, then the question will have more than one possible answer.  I am attaching a document showing three isomers, just to illustrate what I mean.  In any case, you must show us what you have tried (even if it is wrong), before we can help you.  That is a forum rule.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:54:37 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Sponsored Links