April 29, 2024, 08:23:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: iodometric analysis for vitamin c  (Read 9793 times)

jh1848

iodometric analysis for vitamin c
« on: July 31, 2004, 09:40:31 PM »
hi

I'm doing an experiment on the effects of microwave cooking vs conventional cooking on Vitamin C levels in food so i'm planning to use the iodometric approach.
But the problem is I don't know how to start.
Firstly, I would like to know how do i "convert" solid food say, brocolli, to liquid for analysis?

Thank you.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:iodometric analysis for vitamin c
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 02:54:06 PM »
grind brocoli to get a green suspension?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

jh1848

Re:iodometric analysis for vitamin c
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:01:06 PM »
it's hard to determine the end point for a tomato solution using starch as indicator....is there a better way to analyze ascorbic acid ???

Offline mpajestka

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: iodometric analysis for vitamin c
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
Try to use potentiometric titration.
Everything is the same, but you determinate end point not from colour,
but from electrode potential.

Offline chiralic

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • Test
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:20 AM »
I found this paper on internet:

http://paws.wcu.edu/bacon/Vitamin%20C.pdf

Chiralic

Offline chiralic

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • Test
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:24:57 AM »
Also, try to get a copy in your library of this article:

Glucosinolates and vitamin C content in edible parts of broccoli florets after domestic cooking
http://www.springerlink.com/content/a2v7f2vv0adxpnbd/

Abstract

Total aliphatic and indole/aromatic glucosinolates and vitamin C content (ascorbic+dehydroascorbic acid) were evaluated in the edible portions of fresh harvested broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica) florets (Marathon cv.) before and after cooking and in the cooking water. High pressure boiling, steam cooking, microwaving and low pressure boiling (conventional) were the four domestic cooking processes used in this work. Results showed great differences among the four cooking processes and their influence on the content of glucosinolates and vitamin C. Thus, clear disadvantages were detected when cooking in a microwave due to the high loss of vitamin C (40%) and total glucosinolates (74%) in comparison with the rest of treatments. High pressure and conventional boiling had a significant loss rate of total glucosinolates (33% and 55% respectively) regarding fresh raw broccoli, due to the leaching into the cooking water. On the other hand, steaming had minimal effects on glucosinolates and vitamin C. Therefore, we can conclude that a large quantity of glucosinolates and vitamin C will be consumed in steamed broccoli when compared to the other cooking processes.

Regards,

Chiralic

Sponsored Links