April 29, 2024, 04:50:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: the safety issue  (Read 5480 times)

Offline barbara356

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
the safety issue
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
Hi guys!
Sorry, if this post is in a wrong section of the forum.

I need your advice. I noticed that sometimes my son is doing chemical experiments at home. he is 13.
I am very nervous about it, because I worry about his safety.
What things do you use to protect yourself? I mean, mask, special gloves? What else?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: the safety issue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
Safety goggles are an absolute must, available at any hardware store. Consider buying a lab coat/apron and some chemical resistant gloves, maybe a fire extinguisher. Also available at hardware stores.

Really, though, it depends on what kind of experiments he is doing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:01:08 PM by Corribus »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline dan2000

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:27:35 AM »
Generally, all those said above. And a mask if what he's handling is volatile&harmful if inhaled.

If he's doing this at home, I'm assuming they are relatively safe since non-lab purchase.

To really be safe, you should look up the MSDS of chemicals online, which will explain in quite broad range of the hazards the chemical has.

Offline barbara356

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »
Thanks guys!
I purchased a mask, goggles, apron, gloves. On weekends I will ask husband to bring the fire extinguisher from the garage.
Also, I purchased this brush https://www.mrosupply.com/cleaning/brooms-brushes-and-dustpans/2073516_41676_remco-products-inc/ to clean all the mess that he leaves after experiments.  :)
He makes simple, experiments but they are very messy.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:25 AM »
That sort of brush and a small pan are often needed to sweep up broken glassware.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
Even if the experiments are more messy than dangerous, it never hurts to get into the mindset of using protective equipment as a standard precaution.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
Please remember that varied categories of fire extinguishers exist. For instance water makes many burning liquids worse.

MSDS are a good idea, but if you don't relativize them properly you get unnecessarily scared. You could start with the one for ethanol (the alcohol commonly ingested in drinks).

Chemical experiments at home, I started with 9... Safety equipment are a good thing, but I feel more important to try to know what one is doing, try to prepare for the unexpected, and think before doing. My source of chemical compounds and hardware was an experiment kit, but soon I used household products and these can be more dangerous (bleach, toilet cleaner, sulphur, solvents and more).

All that in the absence of my parents of course, which wasn't a bad thing because they had little scientific background, and soon I was more able than them to evaluate the potential risks and react to unexpected events.

Besides safety hardware, I'd suggest to:
- Operate near a source of water, on a ceramic or metal surface, and prepare to join the shower - mentally too
- Operate near a window or a door, prepare to open them: nothing in the way, train to manoeuvre
- Train (outdoor...) to extinguish varied fires by varied means. Not just wood and paper: also liquids lighter than water.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
O yes: use small amounts of compounds.

Sponsored Links