April 25, 2024, 03:46:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ph level  (Read 14141 times)

gangsta

ph level
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »
Please, Please, Please someone help me I'm in a slump. What is the basic Ph level for nitrate at 20c or room temperature? I looked everywhere for the answere and I cant seem to find it. The teacher wont lend me a hand so I'm stuck.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: ph level
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »
Is nitric acid strong or weak?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

spoudyal3

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:27:12 PM »
Nitric acid (HNO3) is a strong acid. Just as a referece, these are all the acids, in no particular order (although HCl is the strongest acid), that are generally accepted as being "strong":
  • HCl
  • HBr
  • HI
  • HNO3
  • HClO4
  • H2SO4

Good Luck!

-DaKid

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:40:53 AM »
Which nitrate: ammonium, potassium, magnesium one?
AWK

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:14:32 AM »
(although HCl is the strongest acid)

Actually, HCl is weaker than HBr which is weaker than HI.  (At least in water.)  All three are strong enough, however, that this doesn't really matter much.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:13:40 AM »
Nitric acid (HNO3) is a strong acid. Just as a referece, these are all the acids, in no particular order (although HCl is the strongest acid), that are generally accepted as being "strong":

Of these listed HClO4 is the strongest. HNO3 - although strong - is relatively weak when compared to the rest. Still stronger than HSO4-
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

spoudyal3

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:23 AM »
Whoa really guys? I always thought that HCl was the strongest stuff out there! Hmmm ... I need to talk to my chem teachers. Sorry, but I still can not find the answer to your question? We need a specific nitrate I think. Good luck.

-DaKid

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:13:52 AM »
Whoa really guys? I always thought that HCl was the strongest stuff out there! Hmmm ... I need to talk to my chem teachers. Sorry, but I still can not find the answer to your question? We need a specific nitrate I think. Good luck.

-DaKid
There are also stronger acids than HClO4, but outside the Borek list
AWK

spoudyal3

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 11:25:28 PM »
Hmmm ... Borek list? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this list. Never heard of it in my life (hope it is not the list I gave)! What exactly is it (other than a list of acids of course). Thanks.

-DaKid

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:21 PM »
I don't think that the "Borek List" is an official chemistry term (maybe one day). I think they just mean the acids Borek was talking about.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

spoudyal3

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....HA! My bad. I get it now. How about we just let that one slide, okay guys?

-DaKid

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
Nitric acid is a strong acid, so you can consider 100% dissociation to calculate its pH.

pH = -log10(concentration of HNO3)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 03:28:39 AM »
pKa = -1

Strong, but much weaker than others.

For 1M solution difference is 0.04 pH unit.

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
Please, Please, Please someone help me I'm in a slump. What is the basic Ph level for nitrate at 20c or room temperature? I looked everywhere for the answere and I cant seem to find it. The teacher wont lend me a hand so I'm stuck.

To answer this, nitrate has no pH individually. For there to be a pH level there has to be a hydronium ion concentration and as any good chemist might have noticed, there are no H+ ions in NO3(2-). If you are looking for the pH of nitric acid that is completely different.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
To answer this, nitrate has no pH individually. For there to be a pH level there has to be a hydronium ion concentration and as any good chemist might have noticed, there are no H+ ions in NO3(2-). If you are looking for the pH of nitric acid that is completely different.

Have you heard about hydrolyzis? Bronsted-Lowry's acids and bases?

http://www.chembuddy,com/?left=pH-calculation&right=bronsted-lowry-theory

Sponsored Links