April 18, 2024, 11:20:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Forces  (Read 5828 times)

Jamison

Forces
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »
What are all the types of forces? In my text book the only forces mentioned are gravity and friction. Are there any more?

Thanks  :-[

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
Re: Forces
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:58:24 PM »
There are many other types of forces. Some include:
Tensional Force, Electrical Force, Normal Force, Magnetic Force, Air Resistance(similar to friction), Applied Force, Spring Force

I'm not sure if all of these apply to what you are talking about but they still exist. For more information on these forces try this site: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/CLass/newtlaws/u2l2b.html or try a google search
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
There are also things like Van Derwaal (sp) forces and London dispersion and things like bonding
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »
There are also things like Van Derwaal (sp) forces and London dispersion and things like bonding
of course, how did i forget intermolecular and intramolecular forces  ???
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:59 PM »
ya that would be a very good thing to remember for tomorrow morning  ;)

we're in chemistry not physics lol
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:26:50 AM »

van der Waals
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
From a physicist's point of view there are four fundamental forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, weak nuclear, and strong nuclear.  The strong nuclear force keeps the quarks in hadrons (a type of subatomic particle) together.  The weak force is involved in the interactions of neutrons and causes beta decay.  The electromagnetic force is the interaction of charged materials or materials with a magnetic moment, and the gravitational force is the interaction between objects with mass.  Note that these designations are currently debated among physicists.  Physicits postulate that all four fundamental forces are essentially the same phenomena and are seeking a theoretical basis for unifying the four fundamental forces.  For example, most physicists will say that the electromagnetic force and weak force are essentially the same phenomena.

Chemists (with the exception of nuclear chemists) are primarily interested in the electromagnetic force.  This force is the fundamental force underlying the interaction of charged molecules, interaction of objects with moving charged (and hence magnetic moments), chemical bonding, dipole interactions, and van der Waals interactions.  The electrostatic force also explains macroscopic phenomena such as friction, elastic (spring) forces, and normal forces.

Sponsored Links