March 29, 2024, 07:03:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Primary or secondary battery?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline saytex

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Primary or secondary battery?
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:47 PM »
Hello!

Fast example:
Aluminium battery with KOH electrolyte is a NON rechargeable battery,... aluminium go to aluminium oxide.
But with difrend electrolyt can you make a rechargeable aluminium battery,... OK!

My question is how do you know when it is a experimental battery rechargeable on when not?

Can you make like this?
the battery have a 1.5V 100mA and you run a motor to voltage drop 1V (40mA). Than you recharge the battery for XY min, hours,... and you test the voltage and current agen and you see the same voltage and current (1.5V 100mA),. repeat the process???

I ask for your advice!?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Primary or secondary battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Hi Saytex!

Would you have a link to an aluminium battery? Up to now I believed they don't exist because they would be bad, both as primary and secondary ones, but am willing to change my mind if a good and working aluminium battery does exist.

Did you mean: "oxidized aluminium", or "aluminium ion", or really "aluminium oxide", which dissolves uneasily?

The difference between primary and secondary battery isn't patent, except on the datasheets. Many batteries sold as primary can be recharged a few times. It's just that the operation can burst the shell, and that the battery loses its capacity after few cycles.

For standard use, I'd expect a secondary battery to accept 500 cycles to the very least, and lose less than 30% capacity after that. Typical batteries aren't much better: they lose 20-30% capacity after 1000-3000 cycles.

Your query is a bit unexpected, because if the battery is experimental, you should have access to the designers who would tell you what they designed.

Sponsored Links