April 27, 2024, 10:51:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The discrimination of pyruvate or lactate acid  (Read 4207 times)

chenpv

The discrimination of pyruvate or lactate acid
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »
Hello everyone, I am a newbie here in this forum and this is my first post. First, I would like to thank the administrator who created this wonderful site. Second, I wound like to thank all the other members who come and share their priceless thoughts on science.Here please allow me to fire my first SOS signal and I do appreciate it if you could kindly express your opinions.

My primary question concerns the discrimination of pyruvate from alpha - ketoglutaric acid on test paper at room temperature without assistance of other instrument (which means palpable to eyes/nose/ears etc.). By my limited knowledge of organic chemistry, the only possible way I can think of is to find a reagent which specifically interacts with either of them and shows a distinct color change. But unfortunately, I haven't found one yet. So I wonder if any pundit out there knows:

(1) Any way to distinguish these two chemicals, except that of by color change?
(2) Since pyruvate has a distinct acetyl radical, is there any reaction that is specific to this radical?

If there was no favorable way of examining pyruvate, I am able to convert pyruvate to lactate acid by means of enzyme-catalyzed reaction. So I wonder:

Is there any method to examine lactate acid by some sensitive inorganic reaction?

Thank you for your opinions.

PS: My questions, though based on biochemistry, seem to be more related with organic/inorganic chemistry. So if moderator doesn't think this post relevant in this subforum, I would appreciate it if someone help put it in the right place.

Chenpv

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: The discrimination of pyruvate or lactate acid
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:56:54 PM »
You are correct when you point to the acetyl moiety of pyruvate as its distinguishing feature.  To test for methyl ketones, you can perform the haloform reaction with I2 in aqueous KOH.  If a methyl ketone is present, iodoform (CHI3) forms as a yellow precipitate.

chenpv

Re: The discrimination of pyruvate or lactate acid
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
Thank you very much, Yggdrasil.  :)

Sponsored Links