March 28, 2024, 11:01:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Partition Coefficient & Temperature  (Read 19905 times)

ramble

Partition Coefficient & Temperature
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:14:21 PM »
Why does partition coefficient depend on temperature only?

At first I thought it should be related to the kinetic energy of the molecules. But then shaking would increase the kinetic energy of molecules too, but it would not affect the partition coefficient.

Besides, would a change in kinetic energy has any effect on the partition coefficient?

It seems that I get all wrong..

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
Re: Partition Coefficient & Temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »
Why does partition coefficient depend on temperature only?

At first I thought it should be related to the kinetic energy of the molecules. But then shaking would increase the kinetic energy of molecules too, but it would not affect the partition coefficient.

Besides, would a change in kinetic energy has any effect on the partition coefficient?

It seems that I get all wrong..
Because the temperature increases the solubility in both phases differently. E.g. water/octanol and salts: The solubility in the aqueous phase increases much more with temperature, as the solubility in the hydrophobic phase does.

Btw. the kinetic energy of shaking the flask is like a fart in a tornado compared with heating up the whole solution. ;)
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

ramble

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:18:57 AM »
Thx~

The solubility in the aqueous phase increases much more with temperature, as the solubility in the hydrophobic phase does.

Is it because strength of H-bond decreases in a much higher rate then that of normal van der Waals' forces when temperature is increased? If so, what is the cause of it?

Besides, is the decrease in inter-molecular forces caused by the increase in kinetic energy of the particles?

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »
Thx~

The solubility in the aqueous phase increases much more with temperature, as the solubility in the hydrophobic phase does.

Is it because strength of H-bond decreases in a much higher rate then that of normal van der Waals' forces when temperature is increased? If so, what is the cause of it?
Carefully, this applies only to the salt example.

Besides, is the decrease in inter-molecular forces caused by the increase in kinetic energy of the particles?
Puh, to be honest - I don't know.
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Sponsored Links