April 26, 2024, 11:38:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Wood Preservative, shellac flakes, and alchohol  (Read 2652 times)

Offline sharpee325

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Wood Preservative, shellac flakes, and alchohol
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »
Hello Chemists!
    I thought that this might be the right place to seek some knowledge concerning a project of mine. i hop i have chosen the proper sub-forum on this website, if there is another more suited for these types of questions, please advise.
   my work today led me to one question, that if answered would solve a ton of work before me. 
   The project?  Varnish.
    The question: what wood preservative contains, if any, the following chemicals:
   1: Sulphur
   2: Chlorine
   3: Boron
   4: Lead
   5: Copper
   6: Zinc.

If it is generally impossible to discover if thismedly is available in the large array of available wood preservatives today. then the next question will be:

Is it safely possible to blend these metals and chemicals with denatured alchohol and shellac flakes at 160 degrees F?

I am not a chemist- and frankly, the whole world of chemistry scares the *&$% out  of me. :-)~  I mean, one minute your scrubing pots with ajax and the next... your dying of mustard gas poisoning.  ive heard its relatively simple to smoke yourself with household chemicals. i'd like to not become a statistic. Hence... I'm seeking advice.

any takers?   after these questions get answered... i'll have more...

Thank you for your time.

S.F.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Wood Preservative, shellac flakes, and alchohol
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »
    The question: what wood preservative contains, if any, the following chemicals:
   1: Sulphur
   2: Chlorine
   3: Boron
   4: Lead
   5: Copper
   6: Zinc.

These are not "chemicals" (which typically means chemical compounds). These are elements. Compounds are combinations of elements, something like elements are Lego bricks and compounds are things that can be built out of these bricks (just the rules which atoms can be combined are way more complicated than in the case of Lego bricks).

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of compounds that can be used/present as preservatives, some of them will contain elements you listed, but the list is an open one.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links