April 25, 2024, 11:50:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How are air elements seen/observed?  (Read 13437 times)

Offline smghz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Why isn't the continuum theory right?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »
I heard that the continuum theory was proven wrong as the smallest part of something is the atom. However, if you keep going saying that it's made up of three parts and those particles are made up of even more particles and so and so, would it disprove today's modern theory of the atom?

Offline smghz

Is the math chemistry students do real?
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:54 PM »
I mean, the balancing of equations and the Lewis dots and oxidation...are they all real in real life? If one were to balance an equation, then do that as a lab, would he get exactly the product of that math equation? It seems so surreal to me.

Offline smghz

How were atoms proven to exist?
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
Is it through the microscope, or math, or what?

Offline smghz

how come carbon is the "life" element?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »
How is it possible that EVERY LIVING THING is made up of carbon? Out of more than a hundred elements, why do we have most of our bodies made up of carbon and very few other elements?

Offline smghz

Is fire made up of atoms?
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »
Why is fire the really special thing in the world? Are there other things like fire that do the same thing? And is it also made up of atoms?

Offline smghz

What would happen if one or more atoms are destroyed?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
Let's say one zooms onto a pen and sees atoms. He then destroys a big number of them. What will happen to the pen?

Offline smghz

When fire turns things into ashes, is it changing the atoms?
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
I've seen paper being burnt by fire and becoming ashes. What really happens? Is it the atoms being affected, or just...something else?

Offline smghz

Re: If you ripped a paper in half, what happens to the atoms there?
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 11:42:06 PM »
If you had a lined sheet of paper, and you've ripped it right in the middle, what exactly (if not, then theoretically) occurs to the atoms there?

Atoms in paper organize as molecules (for instance cellulose) which organize as fibers. Fibers hold weakly together by small interactions between the molecules at the fibers' surface (and supposedly more means) which you break to separate the fibers and rip the paper.

But what about everything that has color? I studied a bit the electromagnetic spectrum and waves and the eye's role, but after all the eye is only perceiving what is not reality, as color doesn't exist. So, for any thing that isn't a metal, what are the atoms doing that makes them make/reflect light???

Offline smghz

Re: What is the power of the atom?
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 11:46:38 PM »
You just broke some bonds between molecules ( breaking atom's bond is not so feasible ) .

may be some bonds between atoms will break but the fact is that a individual atom is very reactive (Except atoms of noble gases) . SO as you rip them apart they will react with something which is around them.

So logically you are breaking some bonds.

So if those bonds don't break, is it even feasible for the paper to be cut??? I mean, when I put force to cut a paper in half, am I actually having an atom-level effect that is NEEDED?

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Is the math chemistry students do real?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 01:56:20 AM »
First of all. That's not really math.

Then, of course you can write any equation you want, regardless what actually happens in nature. But: if reactants and products are actually correct (=experimentally proven), then you can figure out the quantities you get by balancing the equation. This is absolutely essential if you work in a lab. (Or in Industry!)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How were atoms proven to exist?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:44 AM »
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=proving+existence+of+atoms

In general: you have asked a dozen questions, in most cases not showing that you tried to find answers by yourself. I appreciate your curiosity, I dislike your approach. Internet is full of ready answers, just waiting to be found. Google for different keywords, try more than just a first search result, you will not only learn answers to most of your questions, you will also learn how to find them in the future.

Feel free to ask for details if the sources are not clear to you, but not BEFORE attempting to find the answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AdiDex

• Mole Snacks: +16/-12
Re: What is the power of the atom?
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:26 AM »
meaning of non-feasibility is that it will not occur by itself , you have to force it . That's why you have to force paper to tear apart it do not tear by itself..!!

Yes there is a atomic level effect , atoms and molecules became more unstable (A very very very very little bit ) , as you have broken some bonds.

Offline AdiDex

Re: If one were to increase protons' number of all atoms in an element...
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »
First of all you need to know that An element is known for the no. of protons in the nuclei .
Different no. of protons means different elements.

say you have Hydrogen atom , you increased proton , it will become helium ion (as you didn't increased electrons in it , it can't be neutral )

1 proton + 1 electron (Hydrogen) --->  2 proton + 1 electron (Helium+) .

But the problem is that every configuration of nucleus (isotopes) is not stable .

Helium has 5 observed isotopes .
Helium-2 --> 2 proton + 0 neutron ( which we made in above example) - it is the most unstable isotope of helium .
Helium-3 --> 2 proton + 1 neutron
Helium-4 --> 2 proton + 2 neutron -( most of the time we refer to this isotope when we talk about Helium.) - most abundant isotope of helium
Helium-5 --> 2 proton + 3 neutron
Helium-6 --> 2 proton + 4 neutron

Actually all of isotopes of a element almost have  same chemical properties i.e they will react similarly .
but they are different in case of  density , boiling point.

There color is almost identical (you can't observe it by your eyes , you need a really good instrument to observe it )

So logically if you added 1 proton to Gold it will became Mercury .
gold is yellowish while mercury is silvery.

Offline AdiDex

Re: Is fire made up of atoms?
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 03:34:49 AM »
Yes fire is made up of atoms .
These are not special kind of atoms . These atoms are just excited , they are just releasing their energy (which they got by chemical reaction ) in the form of light.

Offline AdiDex

Re: What would happen if one or more atoms are destroyed?
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 03:44:28 AM »
Pen will not exist . But the problem is that you can't destroy an atom so easily.

Yes you can tear it apart into nucleus and electron (it is simpler than below ones )

You can tear nucleus into proton and neutron (It need a very very very  huge amount of energy )

But if you want to vanish an atom (to convert mass into energy ) , you will need anti-matter , unfortunately in present there is no natural source of antimatter . antimatter is very very very hard  and expensive to create ( it is being created in CERN,Switzerland ) but it remain for such a tiny tiny period of time that you can't extract it .
You can't store it as it will combine with matter and just annihilate , and converted into energy .

Sponsored Links