April 29, 2024, 03:48:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Specific Heat Capacity Question  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Lrich

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Specific Heat Capacity Question
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
Two identical canisters containing equal masses of noodle soup and coffee are set to an equal initial temperature. Which will cool to room temperature quicker?

I honestly believed that I had this question completely understood, but I am beginning to second guess myself. The substance with the higher heat capacity will cool at a slower rate, that being said, I thought that since the noodle soup would be more dense it would cool at a slower rate and thus have a higher heat capacity, but I am not sure anymore.

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Specific Heat Capacity Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
To a first approx, I wouldn't say density and volume will matter. (They certainly will, and especially surface area will affect the heat transfer rate. But problems like this typically try to keep things simple.) So: heat capacity. I think it's safe to assume that coffee is essentially like pure water. Noodle soup will have a lot of starch, plus carrots and peas. You can find the heat capacities of those here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-capacity-food-d_295.html

Does this help at all?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 02:35:11 AM »
Very hand wavy, but interesting.

Assuming similar heat capacities (the water is the main ingredient in both cases, so while obviously there are differences, they are not large) I would assume heat transfer to teh surface to be the limiting factor. Coffee easily mixes and the convection will be fast. Thick soup, full of noodles on the other hand...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Yeah, that's a good point, Borek.

However I don't think the difference in heat capacity would necessarily be negligible. Depends on the soup, of course, but a thick chicken noodle can have a crap load of starch - both in the form of noodles as well as a thickener added to the broth. Plus fat and protein.

Ultimately it would come down to what would win out: a substance with good convection but high heat capacity or low convection and low heat capacity. Probably it will depend on what the heat capacity actually is - there will probably be a balance point below which heat capacity is the driving factor. Also, the more noodles and other solids, the greater the impact of convection.

As it happens, I have brought some thick chicken soup with me to work for lunch today. Maybe I will try to sneak some on the DSC. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:39:35 AM by Corribus »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Lrich

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:03:03 AM »
I'm still very confused. I thought that after the initial post and looking at the specific heats of starch, I figured that the answer would be coffee. But now thinking about what Borek has said, I am no longer sure.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
I think this is one of those questions where the point is just to test how you're thinking. There isn't necessarily a universally correct answer.

Sponsored Links