March 28, 2024, 06:30:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: amonium hydroxide and sodium hypo-chlorite (chlorine tablets)  (Read 11087 times)

Offline niertap

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Ive been searching the net to find out the real chemical reaction. Thinking it made only chlorine gas, i mixed a little in a gatorade bottle and tried to "take care of" some ants on my out side porch. i was wrong. in sudden wonderment i decided to throw a match in the bottle of thick white fumes. it exploded. the bottle didnt break, and was only coated in a layer of white powder. The noise was tremendous. just as loud as an m-80. it left my ears ringing for about a day. just wondering what happened. and as a general rule, it's safe to say dont light unknow substances and find out whats going to happen before you do something. i know it was stupid and dangerous, no need to coment on that part, just the chemical reaction.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: amonium hydroxide and sodium hypo-chlorite (chlorine tablets)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
White fumes might be ammonium chloride.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
Mixing aqueous ammonia and sodium hypochlorite results in the production of chloramine gas.  In addition, the presence of ammonia and free elemental chlorine can result in the formation of nitrogen trichloride which is an insidiously nasty explosive.  Therefore, it's no wonder that the bottle exploded.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
Chlorine tablets are not sodium hypochlorite. Probably you mixed trichloroisocyanurate with ammonia. These tablets also could be sodium dichloroisocyanurate or calcium hypochlorite. Could you please check out which product you used (brand name, or even better, chemical compound)? With that info, I can give more info on the observed phenomena and maybe I can reproduce this on a smaller scale  ;).
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline Morphic flip

• Mole Snacks: +5/-6
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
Gatorade?  :o
I take it your not in the UK, never heard of the stuff, but sounds interesting   ;D

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:03 AM »
Gatorade?  :o
I take it your not in the UK, never heard of the stuff, but sounds interesting   ;D

its a sports drink like coca cola, he probably meant a soda bottle in general :P
one learns best by teaching

Offline niertap

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »
i checked the package i had a red circle around    HTH pace(R) the chem name was
trichloro-s-triazinetrione 90% free chlorine. i might try it again and fill a ballon with the gas and light it, so if it's that or ammonium trichloride.I did the exploding of it in vessles with really large openings, mabye 1/4 compression of a soda bottle.

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:40:53 PM »
I can just picture the look on all the little kids' faces when you blow up that balloon...

Offline niertap

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »
covered in burining latex, while cl gas rolls across the ground? i kid.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:50:26 AM »
i checked the package i had a red circle around    HTH pace(R) the chem name was
trichloro-s-triazinetrione 90% free chlorine. i might try it again and fill a ballon with the gas and light it, so if it's that or ammonium trichloride.I did the exploding of it in vessles with really large openings, mabye 1/4 compression of a soda bottle.
That is trichloroisocyanuric acid. Its formula is C3N3O3Cl3. Its structure is

*C(=O)-N(-Cl)-C(=O)-N(-Cl)-C(=O)-N(-Cl)*

It is a cyclic compound, at the *'s the chain is closed, but I cannot draw that over here.

Each 100 gram of this compound gives over 90 grams of elemental chlorine gas, when added to excess hydrochloric acid. That is why this is called "90% active chlorine".

With ammonia this gives chloramines or even NCl3. Very dangerous indeed. The bottle says that this never should be mixed with other chemicals. Know what you are doing, before you blow up things.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:07:36 AM »
Wilco - install free ACD/ChemSketch.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline niertap

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:40:46 PM »
oh yay, now i know what im doing while i blow things up. no, that is some dangerous stuff, didnt the inventer and pretty much anyone that fools around with it end up blind, mamed or dead. when it deflagerates or detonates what is the creaction, im guessing ammonium chloride and chlorine, or most likely hcl, hydrogen, and nitrogen. mabye...probably not.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »
For something to detonate, it has to create a larger number of gas molecules than it starts out with, and those molecules have to have a great deal of energy.  Energy is released upon the formation of bonds, so typically if you form a lot of strong bonds (such as double and triple bonds) you will release a great deal of energy.

When NCl3 decomposes, you wind up forming nitrogen gas (which has a triple bond) and chlorine gas.  You begin with 2 molecules of a liquid (NCl3) and get a total of four molecules of gas.  (3 molecules of chlorine gas and one of nitrogen gas).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
For something to detonate, it has to create a larger number of gas molecules than it starts out with

We've been through that already... http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=5190.msg23091#msg23091
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links