April 16, 2024, 08:50:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Identify this chemical  (Read 3594 times)

Mark1998

Identify this chemical
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Okay, I believe this is the right place as many of you here are knowledgeable when it comes to chemistry (unlike me) also don't laugh, I'm no chemistry guy and I was not thinking clearly that day.

So it was monday morning n we went into the laboratory, then this non transparent, green if I remember right, bottle was on one of the tables. The teacher he just said, that one smells awful, dont touch it then he went to get some stuff out of a closet, and me and my friends decided to smell it.

Since it was a school laboratory I thought it must be safe, also my teacher is very careful and forces us to wear safety glasses and gloves before we even enter, so I thought, if he didn't mind leaving it like that, it could not be dangerous.

I opened it, and then I inhaled it. But listen, I only inhaled it 'a little', I was very careful to inhale a minimal amount. I thought, that's so small, can't be significant. Was I wrong xD I nearly fell to the floor from the strength of the smell and I also felt a slight burn in my nostrils. I coughed a little, drank some water and came back to my senses after like 10 seconds.

That's about the only exceptional thing that happened that day. Anyway, I won't do that ever again, and what I'm here for is to find out what that chemical could have been as I havent got an answer yet and I want to know what i inhaled if you know what i mean

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Identify this chemical
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
No idea as to ID----BUT, suggest you contact school nurse ASAP!!!!!

Take this seriously, from retired chemist.

Mark1998

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
No idea as to ID----BUT, suggest you contact school nurse ASAP!!!!!

Take this seriously, from retired chemist.

It was a week ago, is that still dangerous? I do have to say that 1-2 days after the incident I could occassionally smell it even when I'm not at school but I believe that's because the smell was imprinted or something.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
I'll take a guess....  if it was from your school lab and it was that noxious I will guess at either Chloroform or Ammonia.

Did you ever find out from the teacher what it actually was? 
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
PS: - did you use the standard 'safe' way to smell an unknown?  You NEVER stick your nose in a bottle!  You waft the aroma from the top of the bottle with your hand towards you nose until you start to detect the smell.... I repeat...  NEVER just stick your nose into a bottle.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

rajeunch

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
I think that was Amonia (NH3) in a green bottle. It has really bad & strong odor.

Sponsored Links