April 29, 2024, 07:59:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolubility  (Read 3162 times)

Offline jim22

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Dissolubility
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
I'm doing an experiment where I compare certain chemicals with each other. I will dissolve each chemical in water. Now as to my question: Will I have to take the dissolubility into consideration? Let's say I have two different chemicals, one chemical can dissolve in water without problems and the other can dissolve into water moderately. Can I for example dissolve 20 grams of each chemical into water now or do I have to take the dissolubility into account?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Dissolubility
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »
We're going to try to help you with your problem, but I think we're going to face significant problems.  Maybe its worth taking point by point.

I'm doing an experiment where I compare certain chemicals with each other. I will dissolve each chemical in water.

That is clear and easy to understand.

Now as to my question: Will I have to take the dissolubility into consideration?

I'mgoing to have to ask you to rigidly define "dissolvibility", I don't recognize this word.

Let's say I have two different chemicals, one chemical can dissolve in water without problems and the other can dissolve into water moderately.

We generally don't describe things in such general terms, and it makes your whole question more difficult.  For example, according to Wikipedia, table sugar (sucrose) dissolves at 2000g/L and table salt dissolves at 359 g/L.  This is a more useful way of comparing the solubility of two compounds in water.

Can I for example dissolve 20 grams of each chemical into water now

See, for my examples above, you can dissolve 20g of each in water.  Its just that it takes more water to dissolve sodium chloride instead of sucrose.  So your question really isn't clear.

or do I have to take the dissolubility into account?

Again, I don't know what you mean, unless you're trying to take the various solubilities into account.  But without the volume of water, we can't be sure, it might be significant, it might not.
[/quote]
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jim22

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:28:49 AM »
Thanks Arkcon! Sorry for being unclear, I must admit that English is not my first language and I normally don't use chemistry terms in English. I was trying to say "solubility". So my question: Let's say I have have 2 chemicals: methanol and glycerol (1,2,3-propanetriol) and I want to dissolve 20g of both chemicals in 100ml of water. Will I have to take the solubility of both chemicals into account? Will I need more water voor glycerol than for methanol? Thanks for the response and sorry if I have been unclear!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:15 AM »
Those liquid compounds are miscible in water to all proportions.  You can mix so much of those liquids with water it soon becomes a solution of water in methanol or glycerol, which is why we say miscible.  Its harder (but not impossible) to check if methanol and glycerol are soluble in each other, but I expect that are.  Especially at the low levels you work at.

Offline jim22

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »
Thank you! That' all I needed to know  :) . I can do my experiment now without worries. Cheers!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
@jim22 What experiment are you doing?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jim22

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
It's an experiment where I try to increase the boiling point of water using different chemicals.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:28 PM »
You might want to read up on colligative properties if you haven't already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colligative_properties
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
Ah ... making your own antifreeze/anti-boil.  This is a common industrial application.  An important consideration is that as you replace water, you lose heat capacity.  So although it want boil until a higher temperature, it becomes less effective at removing heat.

Sponsored Links