April 23, 2024, 08:48:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chlorine removement from tap water  (Read 3740 times)

Offline bernhard

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chlorine removement from tap water
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »
Hello,
I am not a chemist and have only elementary knowledge in chemistry.

However, I would like to know how could I remove chlorine from chlorinated tap water thouroughly ( > 99%). Both free chlorine and bounded chlorine.

I know about carbon filters and certain substances. But all of these methods are not sufficiently good enough for me.

My specific question was, if that could work:

1) Mix chlorinated tap water with ascorbin acid, so chlorine will change into NaOH. (There is some similar substance to ascorbin acid, where you would get NaCl, which would probably better.)

2) Now apply reverse osmosis to this mix to remove NaOH.

Could this be a good idea?

I want to get natural water.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chlorine removement from tap water
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:47:05 AM »
Just leaving it open will get rid of most of the chlorine.

It is not clear what you mean by "natural water" - every "natural water" contains chlorine as chlorides, plus many other cations an anions. Sea water - by all means "natural" - contains 3.5% of the them.

Mix chlorinated tap water with ascorbin acid, so chlorine will change into NaOH.

No, chlorine won't change into NaOH. Chlorine (Cl2) can get reduced to chlorides (Cl-), not change into another compound that doesn't contain chlorine atoms at all.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bernhard

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »
Just leaving it open will get rid of most of the chlorine.

I am not confident. I have read it would need many days. And even if so, certainly only a certain amount. What about the heavier compounds?

It is not clear what you mean by "natural water" - every "natural water" contains chlorine as chlorides, plus many other cations an anions. Sea water - by all means "natural" - contains 3.5% of the them.

I am allergic against chlorine. I have also tried ascorbic acid. But it has also adverse effects in my experience. Maybe because of acid, HCl, I don't know.
Of course, chlorine in form of NaCl is no problem.
The simple answer is: harmless water to skin and hair. Like natural water.

Mix chlorinated tap water with ascorbin acid, so chlorine will change into NaOH.

No, chlorine won't change into NaOH. Chlorine (Cl2) can get reduced to chlorides (Cl-), not change into another compound that doesn't contain chlorine atoms at all.

That's true. Sorry, I meant HCl.

I know about a similar substance to ascorbic acid, where some -H group is replaced by -Na. It would produce NaCl instead of HCl. But I have no experience with it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Have you considered boiling and cooling?  That should remove much of the traces of chlorine and related compounds.  Chlorides are always present, and as ionic salts won't go anywhere, unless you distill.  But humans generally aren't allergic to things that make a major component of their own body fluids.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline bernhard

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Have you considered boiling and cooling?  That should remove much of the traces of chlorine and related compounds.  Chlorides are always present, and as ionic salts won't go anywhere, unless you distill.  But humans generally aren't allergic to things that make a major component of their own body fluids.

Boiling is regarded as ineffective. It would need many hours, and certainly considerably more time if chlorine should go to almost zero.

Chlorides are no problem at all. Only aggressive, oxidizing compounds.
HOCl, Aminchlorides, etc.

Ascorbic acid is already good, but my question is, can I apply reverse osmosis to get rid of the rest, say HCl.

Informative are the three links within the first post of this forum thread:

http://www.nycichlids.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14122#p120879

Sponsored Links