Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

Instrumental Analysis

(1/3) > >>

Hunt:
What do you think should be the prerequisite courses for a rigorous understanding in Instrumental Analysis? And how much do you think this course is important for the chemist?

Mitch:
There wasn't that much Math when I took instrumental analysis. I think its more important to learn a breath of intruments and types of separations in that class. You can always get the more advanced math when you take graduate level mass-spec or other topics of interest.

tamim83:
At my school, the prerequisite is intro to analytical chemistry, which will introduce you to spectroscopy, but that is about all.  You really don't need much math, or even all that much physics (maybe optics and E&M).  I think it is important to be introduced to instrumentation as well.  Even if you do not really go into analytical chemistry, you will still most likely use the instrumentation discussed in instrumental analysis.  My professor taught about spectroscopy only, but that is fine I guess since we learned about other methods in lab.   ;)

Hunt:
I see, well now that you've actually mentioned this, how many Analytical Chem courses do undergraduate students usually take ? I think usually they're four courses? ( Chemometrics, Analytical equilibria, instrumental analysis, and method development ). And Who else , apart from chem students, does take Instrumental analysis?

Mitch:
I only had 3 Analytical classes. Quanitative Analysis, Instumental Methods and an analytical  environmental lab class (the public water system of california had a higher metal concentration than samples taken from Mexico).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version