March 28, 2024, 10:27:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Instrumental Analysis  (Read 15040 times)

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +25/-7
Instrumental Analysis
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:43:17 PM »
What do you think should be the prerequisite courses for a rigorous understanding in Instrumental Analysis? And how much do you think this course is important for the chemist?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Instrumental Analysis
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »
There wasn't that much Math when I took instrumental analysis. I think its more important to learn a breath of intruments and types of separations in that class. You can always get the more advanced math when you take graduate level mass-spec or other topics of interest.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »
At my school, the prerequisite is intro to analytical chemistry, which will introduce you to spectroscopy, but that is about all.  You really don't need much math, or even all that much physics (maybe optics and E&M).  I think it is important to be introduced to instrumentation as well.  Even if you do not really go into analytical chemistry, you will still most likely use the instrumentation discussed in instrumental analysis.  My professor taught about spectroscopy only, but that is fine I guess since we learned about other methods in lab.   ;)

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »
I see, well now that you've actually mentioned this, how many Analytical Chem courses do undergraduate students usually take ? I think usually they're four courses? ( Chemometrics, Analytical equilibria, instrumental analysis, and method development ). And Who else , apart from chem students, does take Instrumental analysis?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
I only had 3 Analytical classes. Quanitative Analysis, Instumental Methods and an analytical  environmental lab class (the public water system of california had a higher metal concentration than samples taken from Mexico).
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »
I don't recall any specific course, I think it was all part of the general chemistry syllabus.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »
For my chemistry program at Waterloo there were only TWO required analytical courses..."Analytical Chemistry 223" and "Analytical Instrumentation 323"....and two labs, of course.

That, and a bunch of optional credits that fall into a course called Chem 425.  There's 425i, 425l, 425j, etc...and each is offered a different year.  One term it's electroanalytical, then it's miniaturization the next, etc. etc.  Problem is we can't take any of them until we take 323, which leaves only one year until we graduate :P...so we can only take one of the courses.

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »
lemonoman , how is it then that you're majoring in Analytical Chemistry and you get to take only TWO courses ? ( neglecting the optional courses ) Doesn't it sound a bit ironic dude? :P

Btw , what do you Chemists think of C.Harris' book "quantitative chemical analysis" ? to which field of analytical chem is this book useful most?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 04:47:12 PM »
I'm sure he is majoring in Chemistry, but will take the elective analytical courses to get an emphasis on the analytical side of things.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 12:16:44 AM »
lemonoman , how is it then that you're majoring in Analytical Chemistry and you get to take only TWO courses ? ( neglecting the optional courses ) Doesn't it sound a bit ironic dude? :P

Btw , what do you Chemists think of C.Harris' book "quantitative chemical analysis" ? to which field of analytical chem is this book useful most?

Yeah, the actual degree is going to say, "B.Sc. (Chemistry)" - I was just really into the analytical chemistry and so put it in my ChemicalForums name.  For years I wanted to be an analytical chemist.  This summer, I'm going to be working in Physical Chemistry, studying gas-phase reactions in an HPMS (High Pressure Mass Spectrometer).  I've read some articles about it and it's fun too!  So "Analytical" may not be the right word nowadays.  I'm gonna keep "Analytical Gangsta" for my tag but I've changed my 'signature' as you can see.  Thanks for pointing that out :)

And for the first analytical course we took, we used the Harris book you mention.  It's regarded in our school as the best introduction to analytical chemistry there is - a book for that people who aren't going to go very deep into analytical chemistry, but need a sense of familiarity.

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 04:55:09 AM »
Yeah, the actual degree is going to say, "B.Sc. (Chemistry)" - I was just really into the analytical chemistry and so put it in my ChemicalForums name. For years I wanted to be an analytical chemist. This summer, I'm going to be working in Physical Chemistry, studying gas-phase reactions in an HPMS (High Pressure Mass Spectrometer)

That sounds really interesting ... the type of Chemistry I like? ;)

So "Analytical" may not be the right word nowadays.  I'm gonna keep "Analytical Gangsta" for my tag but I've changed my 'signature' as you can see.  Thanks for pointing that out

Sure thing, no problem

And for the first analytical course we took, we used the Harris book you mention.  It's regarded in our school as the best introduction to analytical chemistry there is - a book for that people who aren't going to go very deep into analytical chemistry, but need a sense of familiarity.

That's what the author says too, not too deep for non-chem majors but sufficient otherwise. I find it weird, however, that this book can be used as an introductory analytical chem course. Except the statistics and equilibria chapters, I can't say I did understand a thing. There's another book I've been reading a bit in , "Modern Analytic Chemistry" for David Harvey , which focuses a lot on Analytical chemistry, not chemical analysis.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 12:08:36 PM »
I do gas-phase reactions too! Except not in a MS, makes analysis very difficult when you only have a few atoms.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 03:34:47 AM »
I do gas-phase reactions too! Except not in a MS, makes analysis very difficult when you only have a few atoms.

What kind of stuff?  Do you happen to be lucky enough to work at synthesizing new elements?

Sponsored Links