March 28, 2024, 08:51:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Compounds and ionic character  (Read 4872 times)

Offline platinumx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Compounds and ionic character
« on: October 16, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »
I've been searching the net for help with this question but can't seem to find any good answers. It might seem dumb but I can't for the life of me figure out what it's trying to ask, and its been bugging me which is why I finally had to ask here after searching on the net with no answers. I think maybe I'm more confused about the wording of the question more than anything. Maybe someone here can help me understand it better.

The question involves:
CaBr2
Na3N
CH4

First it asks to rank the bonds in these compounds in order of decreasing ionic character, which I did:
Na3N,
CaBr2,
CH4

Then it asks:
Where do we always find compounds containing metals, in this ranking order?

I was thinking the answer was the periodic table, where the elements increase in electronegativity as you move left to right across the table. I'm guess I'm confused on the wording because it says where to find compounds in this ranking order, and not elements. I don't know where to find compounds containing metals in order of decreasing ionic character. The periodic table lists the individual elements, not whole compounds so I don't know where else to look, maybe under a box or in a ditch?

Hoping someone here can help me better understand what the question is asking for, or if I was right that it is referencing the periodic table, or if it's something else.

Any help is appreciated!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Compounds and ionic character
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:13:10 AM »
I guess they are asking about whether metal compounds are mostly ionic or covalent - so where would you expect a typical metal compound to be on the list, close to the beginning or close to the end?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline platinumx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Compounds and ionic character
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:20:22 AM »
Ah yes, thank you I see what it's saying now. Yeah I was just confused on the wording lol. So it's asking where do compounds with metals fit in, in a ranking of electronegativity.

It says compounds containing metals, so I assume it could be a metal + metal or metal + non-metal?

If it means metal and non-metal then the compounds would be ionic, with a high electronegativity difference. Therefore those compounds would be at the top of the ranking order.

If it means metal + metal compound then there would be very little electronegativity difference and the compounds would be at the bottom of the ranking order.

I guess I'll include both ionic and metallic compounds in my answer just to be safe.

And I understand that covalent bonds are only between two non-metals? 

Thanks for the help again.

Sponsored Links