April 24, 2024, 11:27:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which group would element 170 be in/ how can you tell?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Cyrustorz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Which group would element 170 be in/ how can you tell?
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Those periods don't even exist that far down yet so how am I supposed to count?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Which group would element 170 be in/ how can you tell?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »
Hint: periodic table follows quantum numbers.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Cyrustorz

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:31:00 AM »
Hint: periodic table follows quantum numbers.
I'm just drawing a blank  ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »
Do you know the Aufbau principle? Follow it and see when you get 170 electrons. What is the expected configuration?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Cyrustorz

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:46:14 AM »
Do you know the Aufbau principle? Follow it and see when you get 170 electrons. What is the expected configuration?
I have just tried reading through this page on Aufbau principle to see if there is something I have missed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufbau_principle
I know the order in which electrons fill shells to the end of the periodic table, but I can't see anywhere such as on that wikipedia article for example that says how to extrapolate past the periodic table...  Will there be other shells beyond the F shell? I just don't understand.  We absolutely did not touch on this in class and I haven't been able to find it in my textbook either :(

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
Sure, there is g after f. Not that the letter used to describe it matters in any way. I will repeat the original hint: it is all in quantum numbers. Yes, for small values of the azimuthal quantum number we often use letters, so the orbital for l=0 is called s, for l=1 it is p, for l=2 it is d, but it is l that matters. Plus, we know l is lower than n. And n can take any positive, integer value.

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »
Think of the quantum numbers and how they all relate to each other. And how the periodic table is built around these quantum numbers.

To describe an orbital you need three quantum numbers: n (principle), l (angular momentum), and ml (magnetic). To describe the electrons in those orbitals you need a fourth quantum number: ms (spin).
  • The principle number n can take on values between 1 and ∞.
  • The angular momentum number l can take on values between 0 and [itex]n-1[/itex] (and this is the quantum number that represents the shells s, p, d, f...).
  • The magnetic number ml can take on values between [itex]-l...0...l[/itex].
  • The spin quantum number ms can take on values of [itex]-\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]+\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

Each element has a unique electron configuration described by the four quantum numbers. And you can predict the electron configuration by following the rules of the Aufbau principle.

To make it easier on yourself, maybe first try some easy examples that are within the known periodic table. What would be the electron configuration of the 5th element? The 10th? What about the 100th? How do these electron configurations relate to groups?

For the 5th element we need 5 electrons, so we have:
  • [itex]n=1,l=0,m_l=0,m_s=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
  • [itex]n=1,l=0,m_l=0,m_s=+\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
  • [itex]n=2,l=0,m_l=0,m_s=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
  • [itex]n=2,l=0,m_l=0,m_s=+\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
  • [itex]n=2,l=1,m_l=-1,m_s=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
Where was the last (5th) electron added in the example above? Which group would it be put in?

You could continue this exercise for the 170th electron, which would be tedious. Could you think of a shortcut, though? Maybe try to think of how many electrons there can possibly be for a given primary quantum number, [itex]n[/itex].
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Sponsored Links