April 26, 2024, 07:04:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Convert 2,6-dimethylphenol into 2,6-dimethylaniline  (Read 1770 times)

Offline littlejoker

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Convert 2,6-dimethylphenol into 2,6-dimethylaniline
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
I'm having to write the synthesis of Lidocaine, starting with 2,6-dimethylphenol and fewer-than-four-carbon compounds, and I know we must somehow convert that into 2,6-dimethylaniline. Steps after that seem quite easy and they are mentioned everywhere but this step is quite difficult to me.
I'm thinking if we can treat 2,6-dimethylphenol with HNO3/H2SO4 to form a -NO2 group at the para place to -OH and then convert -OH into OMs and use NH3 to replace -OMs with -NH2. Can it be possible?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Convert 2,6-dimethylphenol into 2,6-dimethylaniline
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I'm having to write the synthesis of Lidocaine, starting with 2,6-dimethylphenol and fewer-than-four-carbon compounds, and I know we must somehow convert that into 2,6-dimethylaniline. Steps after that seem quite easy and they are mentioned everywhere but this step is quite difficult to me.
I'm thinking if we can treat 2,6-dimethylphenol with HNO3/H2SO4 to form a -NO2 group at the para place to -OH and then convert -OH into OMs and use NH3 to replace -OMs with -NH2. Can it be possible?

Is nucleophilic substitution usual at aromatic centres? I think conversion to the mesylate is a good plan, though. There may be other ways to add the nitrogen - I'm not sure that nitration is the way to go (how do you intend removing it?)

Offline littlejoker

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Convert 2,6-dimethylphenol into 2,6-dimethylaniline
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 05:15:49 AM »
I'm so sorry for being gone for a few days...

Well, it's a little difficult to ged rid of -NO2 so can we use -SO3H instead?

Sponsored Links