April 26, 2024, 02:12:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any cool chemical compounds? {tattoo suggestions}  (Read 8729 times)

TheGardenGnome

Any cool chemical compounds? {tattoo suggestions}
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
I'm planning on getting tattoos of some chemical compounds. I'm definitely going to get dopamine. Also considering norepinephrine, geosmin, theobromine, and vanillin. Unsure of the function of norepinephrine. As far as I know, it stimulates the production of adrenaline that makes your palms sweat, and heart race when you're in love. Not sure if I should get vanillin and theobromine, as I just want them because I love cocoa and vanilla :) What do you think?

Anyhow, do you know of any cool chemical compounds like these? They should be small. Not as big as for example oxytocin. Serotonin has something to do with happiness, but is tattooed on people who has overcome depression. So that one is out of the picture. And do you know anything that has to do with dreaming?

Sorry if this is not the right question for the right forum, but I couldn't find help anywhere else.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:10:57 AM by Arkcon »

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
Re: Any cool chemical compounds?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
Look through neurotransmitters on Wikipedia,  good place to start.  Good opportunity to do a wiki dive and learn some science!
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »
Theobromine may be in chocolate but I don't think I'd associate it with what is great about chocolate. Unfortunately there are dozens of compounds that make up the aroma of chocolate, so it'd be a hard one to represent with a single chemical structure. 

Were it me - and it wouldn't be, but just for sake of theoretical discussion - I might go with the group of myrcene, beta-Pinene, b-caryophyllene , and humulene, four of the most prominent volatiles in hops. Were I to choose one, I'd go with humulene - derived as it is from the scientific name of the plant.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:06:03 PM by Corribus »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »
Tattoos are becoming more and more mainstream, but when I was a kid, a tattoo was about something you really, really, really cared about.   If I were to get one, it'd be a new molecule, one I'd had a hand in designing, or using in a practical application. People would see the structure, but not recognize it, and I'd mention, "Oh that, that one, that's mine.  I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it ... yet."

But don't take my advice, look at this from the ACS:  http://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i3/CEN-Talks-Tattooed-Chemistry-AmbassadorRanda.html
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
Xylitol, the sugar alcohol sweetener often used in mint gums, has an endothermic reaction when it dissolves and gives a cool sensation in your mouth. You could literally say it is a cool chemical compound.
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline missmendeleev

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
How about dihydrogen monoxide, also known as H2O, or simply water?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
What about this in a strategic position:

My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
Americans won't get it. (I once saw a serious paper on "aromaticity of arsoles"...)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »
Arabinose, for the fortuitous but heavily connoted English pun?
Pyralene, for being in French both a pun and a spoonerism?

harryroy107

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:22:19 AM »
Hey that's a good idea getting tattoos if you succeed then please share with me

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
Im seriously starting to wonder why people want to get tatoo of chemical compound and they ask what compound should they get tatooed..Makes no sense to me

RebeccaFarrali

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »
So, did you ever decide on and go through with getting any chemical compound tattoos?

I personally have Dopamine, as I feel it highlights my unfortunately addictive personality.

Sponsored Links