April 19, 2024, 03:42:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2 questions: concentration & solid calcium sulfate+water(equilibrium)  (Read 4879 times)

kiwibop

Hey! I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with these two questions.

A.) 1.25 mL of 1.50 M calcium nitrate is mixed with 1.10 mL of 2.00 M sodium oxalate. What's the concentration of the sodium ions in the resulting solution assuming the volumes are additive?

What I attempted:
calcium nitrate + sodium oxalate --> CaC2O4 + Na2(NO3)2
# mols calcium nitrate: .0018 mol
# mols sodium oxalate: .0020 mol
total volume: .00235 L

Assuming that I'm on the right track, I can't figure out how to put it all together :P

Now with this other question I'm not completely sure if I even wrote the right side correctly. Also, I'm not sure how to figure out the second question.

B.) What will occur when solid calcium sulfate is added to water? When equilibrium is established, will there be any sulfate ions in the water?

What I think the equation is:
CaSO4 + H2O --> Ca(OH)2 + H2SO4

Thanks in advance!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: 2 questions: concentration & solid calcium sulfate+water(equilibrium)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:34 AM »
calcium nitrate + sodium oxalate --> CaC2O4 + 2NaNO3

CaSO4 = Ca2+(aq) + SO42-(aq)
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:37 AM »
A.) 1.25 mL of 1.50 M calcium nitrate is mixed with 1.10 mL of 2.00 M sodium oxalate. What's the concentration of the sodium ions in the resulting solution assuming the volumes are additive?

What I attempted:
calcium nitrate + sodium oxalate --> CaC2O4 + Na2(NO3)2

You don't need any reaction equation to solve the question - sodium ions are spectators only. This is simple dilution.

B.) What will occur when solid calcium sulfate is added to water? When equilibrium is established, will there be any sulfate ions in the water?

CaSO4 is very weakly soluble, thus only traces will be dissolved - but otherwise there is no difference between dissolution of - say - NaCl.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 04:12:32 AM »
CaSO4 is very weakly soluble, thus only traces will be dissolved - but otherwise there is no difference between dissolution of - say - NaCl
Solubility of CaSO4 in water is low indeed, but I disagree that 2 g/liter can be called "traces'
AWK

Sponsored Links