April 25, 2024, 12:49:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper and it's electron configurations as an ion.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline potassium_carbonate

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Copper and it's electron configurations as an ion.
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »
Hello,
I am wondering something about copper and its electron configurations as an ion. I know that Cu has an irregular configuration, [Ar]4s1 3d10, and I also know its ion configurations. What I am wondering is why. I know why the configs are irregular. What I'm really looking for here is why a Copper II ion is more common and more stable, when it would seem that the Copper 1 ion is, with its [Ar]3d10 configuration. I've tried looking everywhere, but nothing helpful can be found. I've discussed this with my chemistry teacher, who is also wondering this. Please don't give me the full answer. I would like some guidance on where to look to try and find this out on my own (as much as I can). Thanks so much! :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:05:13 PM by potassium_carbonate »

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: *delete me*
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
It looks like the answer to this question is fairly complicated. A little bit of Googling brought me to the Jahn-Teller effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahn%E2%80%93Teller_effect
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: *delete me*
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline potassium_carbonate

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: {Copper and it's electron configurations as an ion.}
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! It is much appreciated.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Copper and it's electron configurations as an ion.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
I don't think a complete d10 alone is especially favourable. If you compare the elements and their filling, the noble gases (except helium) fill up to p6, never up to d10. In the first two series of transition elements, d competes with s - sometimes one is full, sometimes the other, or none. But beginning with Zn, 3d104s2 doesn't change any more, and beginning with Cd, 4d105s2 neither, so you can conceive 3d4s or 4d5s as one single shell with unobvious filling - not even a favourable shell since Zn and Cd are reactive.

Sponsored Links