April 29, 2024, 12:44:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline juand.ro97

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
About sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
I need to know what's the reaction of sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate RC6H5SO2O-Na+ (basically detergent) with HCl, my guess is that it forms benzenesulphonic acid and sodium chloride, but I'm not completely sure. The idea is to compare it with the same reaction with soap RCOO-Na+ which hives an insoluble and solid carboxylic acid (because the alkyl group is huge), and the detergent reaction is not very evident.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +168/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: About sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:41:52 AM »
Probably the same.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: About sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:06:31 AM »
I need to know what's the reaction of sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate RC6H5SO2O-Na+ (basically detergent) with HCl, my guess is that it forms benzenesulphonic acid and sodium chloride, but I'm not completely sure. The idea is to compare it with the same reaction with soap RCOO-Na+ which hives an insoluble and solid carboxylic acid (because the alkyl group is huge), and the detergent reaction is not very evident.

Sulfonic acids are in general much stronger acids than carboxylic acids, so while it can get to some extent protonated, the reaction doesn't go as far as the reaction for carboxylic acid (you should find pKa values to check the details though).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links