April 16, 2024, 12:27:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Want to make my own dye at home  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Nyto

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Want to make my own dye at home
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
So I've been looking for Organic dyes online for a year now and I've found that vendors have no knowledge on the dye's properties. I've looked up several of the ideal dyes I'd like to get my hands on: Anthraquinones, azos, Indigo, the less easily they oxidize and the more thermally stable, the better. I'm looking to make colored smoke flares.

None of these look like the kind of dye you could make at home using easily acquired things (Strangely enough, can't find no Indigo where I live!) , so I want to take the making into my own hands. I read about betanin, the dye found in beets. It may be a good candidate... but then I also read it degraded when exposed to, well, almost any kind of energy (Light, thermal, oxidizes easily).

My question is, could I somehow obtain a organic dye suitable for use in a flare from common vegetable, plant, fruit, spice etc.?

Offline darkdevil

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Re: Want to make my own dye at home
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:58 AM »
Indigo is easy to make. Just purchase some 2-nitrobenzaldehyde, acetone, and sodium hydroxide. Mix them and you will get indigo in seconds!

Offline Nyto

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
Alright! Awesome suggestion, though it seems 2-Nitrobenzaldehyde isn't readily available over here. It did lead me to Aniline (C6H5NH2 )though, which are popular for hair dyeing. These compounds though are rather toxic and degrading for the ecosystem, something I'd rather steer very clear of.

Still hoping for more knowledge to come my way. Learning how to make Indigo might not have helped me today, but who knows what the future holds.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
What sort of "flare" shall the dye survive? If it's a pyrotechnic flame I doubt any organic dye will stay intact. Under such conditions I'd jump to metal oxides.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
Organic dyes are frequently used in colored smoke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_smoke

But, none of these will be easy to make (and purify) without a properly equipped synthesis lab.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Nyto

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Damn well, I so happened to find a Anthracene supplier. I've read Anthracene oxidizes readily to form anthraquinone, basis to many organic dyes. I obviously won't go ahead and buy the stuff yet, as you guys tell me it can be difficult to synthesize these dyes... which leads me to my next question:

What kind of equipment is needed to get a raw product (Organic dye) I could use for colored smoke?

Sponsored Links