April 29, 2024, 09:46:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Highschool Electrochemistry  (Read 1469 times)

Offline justanotherelectron

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Highschool Electrochemistry
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
Hi
For a lab I'm looking at the effect of concentration of electrolyte on voltage in a voltaic cell. Over time the voltage should decrease as copper ions are 'used up'. My question is, should the concentration of the electrolyte affect how long it takes for the voltage to reach zero(equilibrium)? This is somewhat urgent so any responses would be much appreciated.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Highschool Electrochemistry
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
My question is, should the concentration of the electrolyte affect how long it takes for the voltage to reach zero(equilibrium)?

Definitely time required depends on the initial concentration of the electrolyte.

Think this way: imagine you have a 0.001M solution of Cu2+ and it needs 10 minutes till the voltage measured is zero (these are completely random numbers, but they will do). Now imagine you start with a 0.01M solution. Concentration is higher than in the previous case, so it will go down for some time till the concentration is 0.001M - and at this point you need 10 minutes. So for 0.01M solution you need 10' + some time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links